• f o r t y t h r e e •

"Firework exploded where they touched, wildfires searing through their fingertips"

B l a z e

17 years of life on earth today, and I still didn't know how to butter bread smoothly.

My hands shook as I clenched the knife in my hands, the fleeting impulse to relapse scorching through my mind.

I shut it down as soon as it came, the knife clattering on the counter.

No surprises were waiting for me when I awoke, all because I had promptly shut down all of Travis' inconspicuous attempts at planning one. I meant it when I said I wasn't too happy about celebrating my birthday.

I brushed out my damp hair with my fingers, feeling satisfied at my mini self-care session which consisted of shampooing and shaving. Thoughts of Kiara and my parents were constantly running through my head, prompting my first breakdown of the day in the shower.

I clenched my fingers around the marble tabletop, taking a few deep breaths.

Memories of my previous birthday flickered in my vision, drawing blood from scabbed mental wounds.

Instead of coloured balloons and confetti, I'd had a rainbow painted across my skin- violets, yellows, reds all mixing to form a tragic masterpiece. Instead of wrapped presents, I'd received the metaphorical gift of hatred.

The back of my eyes burnt with tears and I exhaled sharply. I was over that now, things were better.

I let my hair fall down my back and smiled as the smell of blueberries wafted past my nostrils.

No, I totally didn't wash my hair with blueberry shampoo because Rafael liked blueberries. I did it for me. Blueberries were nice and healthy.

They were rich in antioxidants and vitamin C.

Shut up.

I groaned loudly. Grabbing the knife again, I began buttering a slice and shook some sprinkles on top. I hated to admit it, but Rafael was rubbing off on me, something which he would no doubt gloat about.

The sound of the backdoor opening alerted me and I froze.

It could be a serial killer. This seemed like Dennis Rader's M.O.

I knew I shouldn't have watched those true crime documentaries last night.

I waited for a minute and then another noise thumped, this time closer to my location.

Fuck, dying on my birthday wasn't ideal.

"Shit," I grabbed the butterknife and clenched it in my fist. It would have to do, I mean Rapunzel made use of a pan.

The sound of multiple footsteps echoed through the empty house, and I stilled once again. Holy fuck, how was I supposed to fend off more than one person?