• n i n e t e e n •

"I just want to run away. From all this pain and sadness. From all this anger and destruction, but I'm shackled to the ground, caught in my own nightmare"

 From all this anger and destruction, but I'm shackled to the ground, caught in my own nightmare"

B l a z e

As soon as we reached school, I practically sprinted to get away from Aiden. I didn't stick around to find if he was following me or still hanging around in the parking lot.

When I reached my locker, I was surprised to see that none of my new found friends were around. Friends. It was strange to use that term after so long, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't happy. Guess that would be changing from today.

I got what I needed and just stood there awkwardly, contemplating what to do. Just as I had decided to go to the bathroom, I heard a familiar sweet voice. "Morning" Annikah piped up from behind me, with Bree in tow.

I could practically feel the radiance resonating from Annikah whereas Bree looked like she could pluck out teeth from the Tooth Fairy herself, judging by the seething look on her face.

She nodded in acknowledgment at me groggily, and in that moment I could relate to her. I saw the tiredness glimmering in her chocolate brown eyes, the exhaustion rolling off her in waves and if I wondered if I looked the same. She still looked good, although I was sure I looked like the satanic, uglier version of Billie Eilish.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and cursed myself for asking the stupidest question known to the teenage population.

"Thriving better than a daffodil in fucking spring" she muttered, rolling her eyes.

"She's been snappy since the morning. I asked if she ate breakfast, had 8 hours of sleep, was hydrated and then asked if Bloody Mary was on a visit" Annikah rambled as she held four fingers up. She paused, as if for effect. "No to all the above questions" Annikah flailed her arms and I was surprised to see her so outgoing. It seemed like her and Bree were getting along great.

"Calm the theatrics, would you? It's too early for this" Bree mumbled, rubbing her forehead. I stifled a laugh at seeing Annikah shoot Bree glares that could rival her own.

"I just had a long night" Bree explained vaguely and I nodded, getting a weird feeling for some reason.

"Where's Travis and Rafael?" I asked unsurely. "Travis is having a chat with Raf outside" Bree mumbled, still quite out of it. Annikah looked worried and it was adorable to see her acting like a mother hen.

As if on cue, both Travis and Rafael walked over to where we were standing. Rafael looked perturbed and his appearance was disheveled whereas Travis looked grim and serious, which was something I never expected to see on his face.