• t w e n t y t h r e e •

"How am I supposed to love when all I've ever known is hate? How can you expect me to be open when I've been pushed past my breaking point multiple times?"

B l a z e

All I could see before me was the boy who decided it would be better to run. I didn't blame him, he had his reasons, but a part of me loathed that he got out and I didn't.

And now he was back.

When he started to walk towards me, I was about to change my direction when Travis grabbed my upper arm. "Hey, what happened? You look like you've seen a ghost" his eyebrows furrowed as he scanned my face. Maybe because I did.

His gaze shifted to where mine had been a second ago, and his eyes widened as he saw Jonah approaching. "Isn't that..." he began to speak but was cut off by my sharp intake of breath when Jonah stood before me.

He looked different than he had a little over a year ago. He still had the same grey eyes as his European father, but they were no longer hidden beneath glasses. He looked exactly like his Asian mum, the same sharp jawline and creamy skin. But I recognised what had changed. Because that was what had happened to me too.

His eyes weren't as bright as they used to be, they weren't the same vibrant grey that Kiara had spent hours adoring. They were dark and gloomy, as if sheltering all the pain in the world behind a simple grey cloak.

He had grown taller, likely parallel to Aiden and gained some muscle, but it looked like he was uncomfortable in his own body. I could identify the need to hide in his eyes, the same way I just wanted to escape and cower away.

"Blaze" he spoke my name as an apology, a breathy sorry that provided no ointment to my scars. I didn't say a word, just glanced and then walked around him.

Don't ever contact me. The singular text of his flashed in my mind, the only one I had got before he and his family disappeared for the span of a year.

I wasn't being snarky or a bitch, I was just saving myself from having to relive everything all over again. I couldn't bear to see him now. He was a person that reminded me too much of the past that I wanted to escape.

I walked towards my locker with my heart pounding frantically in my chest, and the metallic taste of blood coating my tongue as I bit down on my lip further. I was ready to welcome the pain, but not Jonah. Not now.

My skin prickled as I sensed him following me, and I dodged between students in a hope to give him a hint that I didn't want to talk. But it seemed like his intelligence had dimmed down, as he continued to trail behind me.