• t w e n t y •

"Grief is a dark spirit that haunts you from the moment it lays eyes on you. No matter how young or old you are, it feeds off your life, sucking the joy out of everything. All you can do is hope it's influence lessens after time, even when you know it'll hang on to your very last breath"

 All you can do is hope it's influence lessens after time, even when you know it'll hang on to your very last breath"

B l a z e

When I neared the car, I saw Annikah was in the middle seat, so at least I wouldn't be sitting there. I let out a sigh of relief that I didn't even know I was holding.

As soon as I got in, I was greeted by a citrusy smell, something that resembled tangerines and a faint hint of cologne. It was a weird combination, yet somehow appealing.

Rafael had his head pressed against the back of the driver's seat and his eyes were closed. He perked up on seeing Bree and I enter, and his eyes were glazed over with consuming guilt. I felt a pang of regret and I reluctantly gave him a small smile.

His face looked better than it did on Friday and a thousand times better than Aiden. His left eye wasn't swollen anymore, it was just bruised around his eyelids and all of his cuts seemed to be healing. His face didn't appear swollen, it was almost as if these scars added to his rugged beauty. His knuckles had been split open and they were still bruised, but they were recovering. I tore my gaze away from the veins outlining the back of his hand.

There were faint bruises along his jaw and cheek, but he didn't seem to mind showing them off as he had barely worn anything that would cover his face.

Annikah was on her phone, and grinned at me when I got in, while Travis leaned over from the driver's seat to give me a fist bump. I had to give it to him, he was one weirdly energetic guy.

"How fare thee on this pleasant day, thou fair maiden?" Travis grinned and I couldn't help but grin back. His enthusiasm was contagious. "Don't be fooled by that pretty face. He asked both Annikah and I the same question, except he called me a peasant" Bree glared at him as Travis pouted.

"Aww shucks, you think I'm pretty?" Travis smirked at Bree and she flushed a bright pink. Rafael's head shot up at that and he sneered at Travis. "Hey. That's my sister. Shut the fuck up" Bree looked embarrassed as Travis just ignored Raf's comment.

"Cool it, Bruce Banner" Travis rolled his eyes but not before Raf shot him a murderous glare. I stifled a laugh at their banter.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked cheerfully, blatantly ignoring the tension surfacing between Rafael and I. He was looking at me so intensely, that I sneaked a peek at him and saw him staring at me with a promise in his eyes, I need to talk to you.