• f o r t y f i v e •

"Dreams were supposed to be an escape, not a prison"

R a f a e l

When Blaze didn't come back for five minutes, my mind conjured up the worst of possibilities as I raced up the stairs.

I trusted her and I knew she wouldn't do anything but after what had happened with her Aunt, I was waiting with bated breath. I wasn't stupid, I knew it was something more than a slap.

Just the thought of someone laying a hand on Blaze violently sent rage racing through my body, my fingers trembling when I remembered the searing redness on her right cheek. It flashed through my mind again and again.

However, all that anger drained out of my body when I saw her hunched on my bedroom floor, shakily peering over the baggie that I had hidden well in my drawer, or so I thought.

"Fuck," I muttered as I took a hesitant step towards her but she stood up, reeling back.

"You lied to me." The accusation in her voice made me flinch and I took another step towards her.

"You told me you were sober, Raf." Blaze whispered shakily.

"I was," I murmured, and her eyes turnt to mine, overwhelmed with affliction.

"What happened?"

Guilt roared inside me at her question because I could come up with no answer.

"You're so adamant on stopping me from relapsing, what about you? Who the fuck is supposed to take care of you?" She ran her fingers through her hair feverishly. Anger, disbelief and concern battled her tone.

Every step I took closer, she pulled back.

"I can take care of myself," I mumbled as I tried to place my hands on her shoulders. She shrunk away, tears brimming her eyes.

"Is it because of me? Is it because I call you every night? Am I clingy? Fuck, Raf, you could've just told me you were fed up and tired." The irrational words spilt from her mouth in a flurry and an explosion of agony seared through my chest.

"I'm not fed up of you, Blaze. I never will be." My voice rose in volume but she seemed to be too consumed in her thoughts to hear.

"Am I not good enough for you to trust?" My mouth gaped open as she paced back and forth.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." When she turned to me with those watery blue eyes, I couldn't stand it anymore, losing that thin thread of control.