• t h i r t y t w o •

"Painted in technicolour, drained in grey, it all felt like a canvas of shadows splashed with tints of sorrow "

t.w: self harm and suicidal thoughts

B l a z e

I had hoped you would love me enough to give me a reason to stay.

Her words dug into my brain, ravishing at my insides.

Seven times.

I had read the letter seven times, hoping to find something proving that it wasn't real. "I killed her" it hurt to speak, my throat dry from my silent cries.

"I killed her". The words escaped my mouth in a chant, the tears kept on flowing, and with each passing second it felt like a piece of my heart died.

How could such a thin, feather-like piece of paper hold so much power? It carried a weight that caused my world to crumble and burn into ashes. All with just a few pages I could feel my life as I knew it rotate completely, tilt on its axis and throw me into the hellfire of my own dark thoughts.

The guilt burnt inside me like a furnace, a blazing inferno scorching my body with the unbearable heat. Is this what it felt like to her? I could've saved her.

There was no escaping the fact that wedged itself into the forefront of my mind. It was all my fault.

The letter fluttered away from my trembling hands, flying under the bed, but the only thing running through my mind was her face. Her grey eyes staring at me accusingly, her nimble fingers wrapped around my throat and her lips upturned in a malicious sneer.

The pain coursed through my body like a toxin, eating away at my blood. A constriction seized my chest like a tourniquet, making each breath harder and laborious. Why couldn't I breathe? Why did it hurt so much?

Wrapping my arms around my knees, my heartbeat only increased to the point where all other sounds except the blood rushing through my body faded away. The blood- it shouldn't have been flowing, it should've stopped. I deserved to die.

My struggles paled in front of yours, you had lost your family while I on the other hand, had lost my sanity.

The agony was unbearable as it washed over me like a tsunami, wreaking havoc inside my shattered heart. The same heart that should've stopped instead of hers. This remorse was something that I would never be able to escape, it would haunt me in my sleep and chase me to my grave.