• f o r t y s e v e n •

"We were born into this destruction, striving to survive amongst the monsters we call men"

B l a z e

The sound of Rafael throwing up behind the locked bathroom door made me wince. Worry escalated inside me as I bit the skin around my nails.

"I'll be out in a minute." His words were a weak whisper and I thumped my leg nervously as the faint music from the bowling alley grated against my ears.

Today was the last day of our midterms and as an effort to celebrate, I'd dragged everyone here. It had been ten days since Bree and Rafael's fight and they still weren't talking, their tension continuing to incline every day.

Time seemed to loop together with Raf puking and running a low fever all throughout exam week. Bree would just watch worriedly from the sidelines and Raf would continue to ask about her every night I spent in his room.

He had even walked out halfway through a few exams due to his unstable health but that still didn't prompt any reconciliations.

It was shattering and despite Rafael saying he wasn't addicted, the symptoms of withdrawal were still there, albeit in a repressed manner.

"Hi," Rafael murmured as he stepped out, the sweat on his forehead glistening under the dim lights. His hands were clammy as he grabbed my wrist and my bottom lip wobbled as I noticed his thinning limbs. He hadn't drastically lost weight but I could still feel the skin sticking to bone in some places.

I hated seeing Rafael like this.

Taking out the paper napkin from my pocket, I wiped Raf's face gently and handed him a couple of breath mints. He didn't say a word as he took them, guilt swirling in his frantic eyes.

Silently taking my hand, he pulled me away from the bathroom and I sighed when I felt his sweaty palms shake.

His father still wasn't home and I wondered if Bree had even told him about Rafael's insobriety.

"That's my third strike in a row," Travis hollered as we made our way to the others and I shot him a weak thumbs up.

Rafael rolled his eyes, earning a glare from Bree and the two engaged in their hundredth glaring match of the day. Despite his weakened state, their anger didn't waver.

"Knock it off," Annikah grumbled and Raf was the one to back down when Ann pinched his arm. A sharp hiss breezed past his lips and his nails dug into my thigh under the table.

"Thank god midterms are finally over," Jonah ran his fingers through his silky hair. "The stress was way too much."

"Says the dude who always gets an A," Travis thumped Jonah on the shoulder and stiffly sat down next to Raf.