• f o r t y s i x •

"My fingers ache from all the secrets I kept hidden in the lines of my palm and the stardust I licked off your salted wounds"

B l a z e

He overdosed, ten minutes from dying.

Bree's words resonated in my mind as I sat in the empty cinema room. Snippets of their fight constantly played in my head, the newfound information circling my head on a loop but one question pushed forward.

Who was Cairo?

The way Rafael had reacted told me she was someone close.

Glancing around the room, my eyes fell on the black backpack, remembering the way he had guiltily pulled out bags of white powder and weed from his closet.

Fuck, Rafael.

Panic set into my bones as I raced to the living room, trying to figure out if he went after Bree or not. The emptiness of the house was evident, only Raf's car in the driveway.

The sound of something breaking upstairs alerted me of his location and I headed up the stairs, the silence after the sound scared me.

The quiet persisted as I knocked on the door, waiting for him to open up.

"Raf, can I come in?" When there was no answer for a minute, I gently creaked the door open.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath as I saw the upturned desk, books and broken objects littering the floor. Light reflected over the broken shards of glass from the open balcony door, a lone shadow huddled near the bed.

Rafael was staring vacantly at the night sky, his fingers drumming restlessly on his knee.

Carefully tiptoeing over the mess, I made my way over to him. Déjà vu washed over me as I recalled the day in my room when Aiden had given me Kiara's letter. It was the same scenario all over again.

I crouched in front of him. However, that didn't grab his attention, a glazed look shielding his emotions.

"Hey Raf," I gently grabbed his wrists.

"Is Bree back?" He titled his head up. Despair, regret and a hundred other emotions in between flickered in those sage green eyes that I had come to adore.

"No." I teetered, not sure how to tell him that she hadn't even been gone for ten minutes. He seemed too dazed to hear my answer.

"Can you get up? You're going to hurt yourself." He sluggishly looked at the mess and back at me.

"I fucked up again, didn't I?" His eyes fervently switched from his palms to my face, tearing a fresh scar in my heart.

"Bree just needs time to process," I murmured, my chest aching at the grief in his eyes.