• e l e v e n •

"He was scarred but he never let me bleed. He was broken but he never let me cry. He made me feel alive when I was on the verge of losing myself"

 He made me feel alive when I was on the verge of losing myself"

B l a z e

As Bree and I walked to Biology she was grinning the whole way there. What was up with her? "Is there anything I should know?" I blurted out. She just kept on grinning as she replied. "I think my brother's got a new crush" she said.

I felt a pang of envy in my heart at the thought of him liking someone. Sure he was a flirt but he surely couldn't like someone, now could he? You've known him for a few days.

I felt a nagging wish that it should be me in the back of my mind. I quickly dismissed that thought. He must like girls that look like models and have perfect lives. I never ticked any of those boxes. Plus, I had a boyfriend, even if he wasn't worth being called that.

"Oh. Good for him" I muttered. Bree scrunched her eyebrows then suddenly her eyes widened. "Are you jealous?" she grinned, wiggling her eyebrows. She was such a goofball. "Why would I be jealous?" I scoffed, avoiding her gaze. "Either way you shouldn't be, because you're the one he likes" she casually said. I turned my head in her direction. "Very funny Bree" I rolled my eyes.

We walked into class and waited for the Biology teacher to arrive. I actually rolled my eyes at her. "Babe, why would I lie to my best friend?" She said. "Best Friend?" I questioned her. It was kind of weird that she thought so much of me after just spending just a few days together. I felt guilty for not reciprocating back.

"Why not? I know maybe I'm not on the top of your list of priorities but I also know you take some time to open up and I'll be here when you want to do that. We're on the way" she sincerely replied.

I felt myself smiling at her observant nature. I never thought she noticed all that. Wait, that means I'm letting down my walls. Is that something I should fear or not?

Mr. Harris walked in and we didn't speak a word the entire period. I was lost in my thoughts, as always. Should I let Bree and Rafael in? Would they leave after seeing my scars? Would they think I'm a worthless human being? I pushed all the negative thoughts away. Maybe they didn't care. Even though we were getting to know each other, they were always supportive and they didn't seem like judgemental people. Maybe they actually cared.

I smiled to myself at the thought, but deep down I knew maybe I was just lying to make myself feel better. I wasn't entirely convinced yet. I, of all people, knew how deceiving appearances could be.

The class flew by and I barely noticed. As soon as we got up, Bree was by my side again. "Whatever I said was true. Both parts." she said in a low voice. "I'm glad that you consider me your best friend Bree, but there is no way that Rafael likes me in the slightest" I sincerely told her. I had enough on my plate right now. "Maybe you'll be the one he finally opens up to" she muttered to herself and walked away.