• f i f t y t w o •

"Branches bloomed from the crevices you left in my heart, newfound flowers blossoming from the seed of pain"

B l a z e

The dull thud of my empty pill bottle hitting the bottom of the trashcan reverberated against my bathroom walls as I dug my fingers into my palm.

Ten days, I still had ten days to go until my prescription was renewed for the month, the lack of my pills frying my nerves. It wasn't like I had been chugging them down, they calmed the occasional nightmare and firing anxiety that had risen ever since Rafael's fight with Aiden.

It had been a week and I was pessimistically waiting for Aiden to retaliate but surprisingly, the tension had died down.

It wasn't like I was dependent on my medication, it just helped. Besides, ten days wasn't a lot. I'd work without them.

"B, you okay in there?" Bree knocked on my bathroom door.

"Yeah, I'll be right out," I yelled back and washed my face with cold water to tame my thoughts.

Unlocking the door with a grim smile, Bree gave me a once over and quirked an eyebrow.

"Are you excited?" Her excitement exuded into the atmosphere and I rubbed my clammy hands on my joggers.

Today was Rafael's one month sobriety anniversary and we were all having a sleepover at their house. Bree had planned the entire thing and her elation had been wildly palpable ever since they'd come over to hang out at Aunt Mary's house.

"Yeah." Forcing a boost of eagerness in my voice, I smiled shakily at her. The motion instantly set Bree on edge and she placed her hands on my shoulders.

"What's wrong?" I shook my head at her question, prompting a glare.

"It's nothing to worry about. We're going to have fun," I pumped my hands in the air weakly and Bree's eyes further tapered into slits.

"It's me or Rafael, he's right downstairs. I'm pretty sure he'll be quite convincing to get you to talk." Her pale pink lips turned down into a threatening frown, my stomach rolling with nerves.

"Why is it always blackmail with you? Rafael's a cannibal and now you're a blackmailer. What's next?" The playful mutter instigated a devious grin, Bree's cheeks flushing with joy.

"It's heredity. Our mum's a psychopathic bitch and Dad gets sociopathic at times. Couple goals, am I right?"

My lips sunk open as I struggled to form a coherent answer. Gentle laugher flitted out of her mouth as her narrow shoulders shook with delight.

"I'm kidding, at least about Dad. Sorry, dark humour is fun."

"Oh, okay," I murmured uncomfortably and Bree's head tilted to the side.