• n i n e •

"Even though you hurt me beyond repair, I would care for you despite everything, cause there was a time when you would've done the same"

B l a z e

As Rafael set down, I saw his jaw clench. Was he angry at being paired with me? Maybe he was. He probably thought I was a freak after the way I acted earlier. Maybe I should do all the work. We could avoid each other that way.

My heart hurt as I thought about how rude I was to him. He was being nice, but despite only knowing him for a day, I felt intrigued by him. It was a spark that I couldn't put into words. But Aiden would not be pleased. And I didn't want to drag Rafael into my mess.

I thought about apologizing to him. I was the one who was blatantly rude to him after all. I should be the bigger person if we were to work together. Mrs. Reynolds gave us the rest of the class free to work out our projects. It consisted of about 40% of our grade and I didn't intend on slacking off.

I dreaded sitting in an uncomfortable silence as it could trigger another anxiety attack. Silence meant more time with my thoughts, which never ended in anything nice.

"I'm sorry" I whispered, so as to not garner anyone's attention. Rafael's eyes darted to me. His eyes immediately softened and he smiled. A smile that could make a girl go weak in the knees. You have a boyfriend, get a grip. I smiled back and he started to speak. "I'm sorry too. I just want to know you, sweetheart" My heart warmed but doubt trickled it's way in.

"Why me?" I muttered and he looked at me so gently as if I would break down right now. Maybe I would, I thought. "Just because" he said, barely audible. I grew confused at that, but he spoke again. "It seems like you're stuck with me for the entire year" he smirked and I couldn't help but smile as I looked at the table. It was hard meeting his gaze.

I had learned that he wasn't the guy everyone had painted him out to be. He wasn't some Big, Bad Wolf. He was just a regular guy and I knew best not to judge based on others' opinions.

"Yes. What are we going to do?" I asked him as I didn't want to beat around the bush. Chemistry was one of the few subjects I took interest in and I did not want to screw that up. "Whatever you says goes, princesa. I'll help you with everything" he grinned. It was as if his words held a deeper meaning but I brushed it off. I blushed at his nickname. Stupid body.

"I told you not to call me that" I groaned but he just kept smiling. It was pretty obvious that I couldn't stay angry at him for long. We started brainstorming. Well, actually I did. He just stared at me the entire time like a freak and muttered a few incoherent words to show me he was paying attention. I knew he was not. "I guess you can do the whole project by yourself, as you've been paying so much attention" I sassed but he just hummed in approval. What the hell was he staring at?