• f i f t y o n e •

"The ashes of my nightmares stuck to my fingertips and I watched as daydreams bloomed from their dust"

B l a z e

t. w: mentions of suicide scene

"Kiara didn't die in a car accident, she killed herself."

As soon as the words left my mouth, Rafael's face contorted with surprise and sympathetic pain. The sage flecks in his eyes swirled, his Adam's apple convulsing in his throat as he struggled to respond to my heavily guarded secret.

"And you lied about this?" No trace of accusation could be detected in his voice, just pure shock. My neck burnt hot as words toppled on top of each other, looking for a way out.

"Yes." It was all I could muster, no excuses, no explanations.

With Aiden gone, I felt burnt out, the short surge of adrenaline dying into an ember.

The striking muscles on Rafael's biceps flexed as he tugged me closer, wrapping his heated arm around my waist. I nestled my face into the side of his neck, the tender skin turning wet from my tears.

Raf didn't offer counterfeit apologies or forced comfort. He just held me as the suppressed grief finally sprung to the surface, bursting forth rigorously in a wave of saline tears.

My hands shook violently around his thin shirt and his lean fingers deftly ran through my hair, massaging my scalp. Aiden's words kept circulating my mind as if they had been dissolved into my blood.

"I'm not a murderer, Rafael." My heavy conscience oppressed my skull, birthing a headache.

"You aren't, baby. I believe you, okay?" A gentle kiss fleeted across my forehead, although, his tone was braided with seething anger.

"Kiara jumped, Raf." Rafael's fingers halted in my hair and he tilted my chin to meet his gaze.

"Did you see it?" Our noses brushed, warm breaths mingling. The question didn't feel intrusive. He knew I needed to finally release the noose of guilt that was tightening and choking me alive.

"I saw everything." As the tears hazed my vision, his fingertips nimbly grazed against the nape of my neck.

"Fuck, Blaze."

"I could've stopped her you know." It wasn't guilt laced, rather factual.

"Don't..." I cut Rafael off before he could say more, drawing away from the comfort of his embrace.

"She was supposed to have dinner with me and Jo that night." I still remembered it crystal clear, the multitude of fights with her before that day. But I always forgave her because she was all I had, the only person I'd known to have stuck around.