• f o r t y n i n e •

"I discovered infinities within your eyes and I fell within the dark depths of your soul"

B l a z e

The smell of antiseptic and bleach clung to my nostrils as I slumped in the rigid hospital chair. It had been two hours in the waiting room as we anticipated a report on Jonah's dad, who was still in surgery.

"Should I get Jo food?" Rafael murmured from beside me and I nodded. The others were in the Cafeteria, grabbing snacks and giving Jonah his space after he snapped at everyone.

Anxiety rolled off Rafael, further condensing in the air as he dug his teeth into his bottom lip. I knew it was because of his accident.

I remembered him saying he had spent a month restricted to a hospital bed, and another three shuttling between physical therapy and visits. His fear of hospitals was justified. However, Raf was here and I knew that mattered to Jonah.

Once Rafael was gone, I inched towards Jonah who had been staring at the glossy linoleum floor for the past ten minutes.

"Hey," I placed my hand on his and he jerked away.

"Hi," Jonah's voice was thickly laden with exhaustion and my heart sunk into my stomach. The colour had seeped out of his skin, gathering at his fingernails which he was constantly nibbling on.

Jo hadn't responded to any of Travis' stupid jokes to cheer him up or Summer's attempts at consoling him. All of them fell into the drain when Jonah retreated into himself.

"Any news?" He shook his head, ebony hair flopping over his clammy forehead.

"No, my mum's still in the OT," he whispered, tearing at the broken skin around his fingernails and I gulped a deep breath.

His mother was the nurse who had been assigned his father's case in the ER and I couldn't imagine how heartbreaking it must've been to see her own husband on the stretcher. After she had called Jonah while crying, we'd all rushed here. Even Rafael's Dad had offered to help but Mrs. Alston declined.

"It's going to be alright," I murmured, knowing how hollow the words sounded.

His father was in a head-on collision with an SUV while he was on his lunch break. The other driver had emerged unscathed while Mr. Alston had suffered brain injuries and multiple broken bones.

"Really? You're suddenly a doctor now?" He snapped and I winced, pursing my lips. The reaction was uncharacteristic with his calm composure but I understood his climbing anxiety.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled straight after and I shook my head.

"No, you're right. It was a stupid thing to say," I reprimanded myself and he flashed me a weak smile.

"You can be dumb sometimes so I'll let it slide." I pretended to be offended by his statement, gasping.

Jonah just smiled softly but it fell when he glanced down the hallway leading to the OT.