• s e v e n t e e n •

"How am I supposed to breathe and believe it'll all be okay, when my heart is barely beating and my lungs are collapsing by the weight on my shoulders?"

B l a z e

Rafael didn't return for the rest of the class and I didn't see him in the hallway either. My anxiety was sky rocketing and my hands were itching to pick up the blade, to take out my frustrations on myself, but I refrained from doing so.

The guilt was eating away at me but I convinced myself that I was doing this to stop Aiden and his friends from hurting Raf and Travis.

I wondered why Alec and Aiden were so hell bent on teaching Raf and Travis a lesson. I figured maybe it was because the latter wasn't scared of the former and that was a major blow to Aiden's and Alec's egos. The fragile male ego.

In Mathematics, I had Annikah with me and I figured Aiden's threat didn't extend to her and Bree. But, I would have to limit my conversations with Bree as her and Raf were kind of a package deal. All this planing and plotting had my brain fried and fatigue swept over me. I could barely stay upright and Annikah tried to keep me awake with cheesy jokes and the occasional question.

I learned that she was an only child and her dad used to be a hotshot at some executive company, her words not mine. The company apparently had some scandal and they had to move here to Glensdale because her mum wanted to get away from the city life. We were by no means small, but Glensdale wasn't a huge city. I could tell she missed her life there, from the way she spoke about her friends to the general ambience.

We talked about random things and I told her about my parents when she asked. I just mentioned that they had been in a car crash, but nothing about how I blamed myself for it. I wasn't going to tell her about Kiara either, because Raf and Bree probably didn't even know about her. I guess Travis either forgot or didn't know. I was very wary of letting my guard down.

I wasn't going to be defined by the number of people I had lost in my life. I had lost enough to know that no one could share my pain, that the grief was mine only to bear. Eventually, you learn to deal with it.

When Annikah found out about my parents, she didn't give me a sympathetic smile or a pitiful look. She flashed me an understanding nod, and I was grateful for that. We talked whenever the Math Teacher wasn't looking, and I was glad I had something to focus on besides the ruin of my life.

After Math, I dreaded going to Chemistry. I didn't know if Rafael was even going to be there or not, but the guilt of acting like a bitch was eating away at me. Why the hell did Aiden have to threaten him? I actually felt happy but he just had to risk Raf getting hurt. It couldn't get any worse than this.