• t h i r t y s i x •

"Wisps of darkness twirling like candle flames in the wind, and somewhere in his mind she shone like a beam of starlight. He was obsidian, she was his companion"

 He was obsidian, she was his companion"

R a f a e l

As soon as Blaze was safely inside, I drove away, my thoughts hounded with the things she had just confessed.

Unintentionally, I parked around the corner when my palms started shaking too much around the steering wheel, which was slick with my sweat. She had lost her parents in a car accident.

A car crash. Too many accidents that took so many lives.

I could feel intangible shrapnel digging into my ribs, constricting my lungs along with my ability to breathe. The smell of flesh burning mixed with gasoline pungent in the air, blood everywhere. Her young face torn up with wounds, cracked bones and limbs twisted at weird angles, it all haunted my vision. I pulled my hair as my heavy breaths humidified the car.

Blaze didn't know, that's what I told myself. She didn't know that by sharing her secrets, she was also digging up memories from my past that I never wanted to relive. It wasn't her fault that I was as much a wreck as the crash site where I lost her forever, and that my issues were clouded by the very smoke that shrouded her body.

The night she became a star.

Even the hours of surgery and taxing physical or mental therapy couldn't mend the wounds on my soul. It was tainted with guilt, nothing that could be stitched or swabbed.

Tears were forming at the back of my eyes, scalding my lids and I aggressively shut them.

Feeling is weak.

Confronting emotions is weak.

My fingers painfully gripped the wheel to the point of cramping, but that was okay. Physical pain was the only emotion that I was allowed to feel.

The sound of my phone ringing broke the overthinking plaguing my brain, and I stomped on the disappointment that arose when I saw Bree's name. I was hoping Blaze would call and provide a distraction from my spiralling thoughts.

"Dude seriously, are we going?" she muttered irritably, and I wiped my eyes before answering, as if that would erase the stains on my soul.

"Yes," I answered curtly, and I heard silence on the other end.

"Raf, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." My voice was barely audible, and I heard shuffling as Bree's voice seemed more serious when she spoke.

"What's going on?" I thought about telling her how I had flashbacks to the accident, but decided against it, especially over a phone call when we were meeting in ten minutes.