Chapter 32

I lay on top of Juan's body, completely unaware of my surroundings. I don't care who is calling my name. I don't care that I'm probably laying in my best friend's blood. I'm just numb. I feel like I'm a ghost or out of my own body.

The pain I feel right now is indescribable. I have been fortunate enough to have never lost a loved one until now, a luxury billions of others around the world have not been fortunate to have. I may be involved in the Mafia. I may see death almost every day, but I have never felt it.

I know what you're thinking; now that I know what it's like to lose a loved one I should feel remorseful for my victims' families, remorseful for all the people I've killed. Well I don't and maybe that makes me a terrible person, but the people I kill and torture are not good people. The Russians run brothels and human trafficking rings. The French aid the Russians along with the Irish-I know that now. Of course, not everyone in the underworld is bad well at least not by my standards. To the outside world, we are all monsters.

But the point is Juan was a good person, he was my best friend, my brother, my confidant. He was always there for everyone, he was kind and loyal, no matter if you were an asshole to him. He only killed if he had to in fact for a sniper he despised killing. Juan didn't take many jobs, only group missions and certain people like rapists, child predators, cyber stalkers, etc.

Lost in my own numb world I almost miss the whispered words of the wheezing man I'm clinging to. "Get your baby melons out of my face you fat bitch, I can't breathe!" I jump away in pure shock. As if the switch was flipped once again, my world comes to an unpause. The numbness vanishes as if it was never there. I'm alert to my surroundings as I look around the room. Lucas and Dario are comforting a sobbing Vader and the rest of our family is on their knees with their heads bowed, a sign of respect when we lose one of our own. No one has realized he isn't dead yet.

I look at Juan. Dried blood leaks from the side of his mouth, but other than that he is pretty much bloodless. A bullet shell casing is embedded in the metal cop badge placed right over his fucking heart.

"You're alive! You're fucking alive!" I get up and shout, gaining the attention of the whole room. Vader shoots up faster than humanly possible and sprints towards us. He slides to his knees in the slick wet blood from some Russian mutt.

I watch as Vader cries tears of joy into his boyfriend's chest. The sight makes my heartache. I feel arms being wrapped around my waist and a kiss being placed on top of my head. I relax into Dario's chest as he snuggles me from behind. He lifts one of his hands to wipe the tears off my cheeks.

Juan and Vader pull away after a couple of moments. Juan looks up at me and smirks. "I told you that badge would come in handy one day, didn't I?"

I laugh. "Yeah, but I didn't think it would be to stop a fucking bullet from entering your heart."

"Well, I'm just glad that Russian mutt had good aim or else I would be dead." He laughs a dry humorless laugh. "Did all of you seriously think I was dead?" He looks around the room to see our guilty faces. That was answer enough.

"In our defense, we couldn't tell if the blood on the floor surrounding you was from a Russian or you." Dario shrugs.

"And blood was leaking from your mouth," I added.

"Oh yeah," Juan wipes the corner of his mouth. Not wiping much blood away because most of it was dry. "I bit my tongue when I screamed."

"That scream is going to haunt my nightmares for the rest of my life," Vader shudders. Same, bro, same.

"Well I'll be there in your arms to scare your nightmares away," Juan says, looking at Vader with so much love.

"I feel like we are interrupting something," I whisper while looking up at Dario.

"You are," Juan and Vader say in unison. "Go suck faces in a corner or something," Juan comments making Dario and I chuckle.

"We should probably change and then go to my office," I suggest.

🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦

Two days later

It has been two days since the massacre. Sky and Rosa were pretty shaken up about it. When we went and got them out of the bunker the next morning they were huddled together crying and they wouldn't let anyone touch them. We didn't tell them exactly what happened because they are so young and wouldn't understand instead we told them it was supposed to be part of the party, but the party planners got it mixed up and planned the scary version that wasn't meant for children. I hated lying to them and I'm pretty sure they didn't believe us, but I wasn't about to go against Gianna and Marcos' wishes and tell their seven-year-old her brother runs the Italian mob. As for Sky, Dario and I with the inclusion of Eliana decided we would tell Sky when she is ten and if she wants to start training to be something mafia-related she can, but she is also welcome to have a choice in the matter and live a semi-normal life.

As for right now, we are in the conference room with the capos and the most trusted. Dario and Andres are going over the plan and I, who came up with the plan know it by heart so I don't have to pay attention.

I learned from Sergei who I've kept in contact with that he is working with the French. I should have known; Nicholas Francois was a slimy, dirty weasel. I don't know how the man has been in power for so long he can't hold a business deal to save his life.

I learned from my super-secret informant that Sergei and one of his sons-his heir-will be at their main warehouse on Saturday. According to my rat, the French weasel will be there as well. Apparently, they are discussing business, and also one of their shipments comes in the night before. In three days we will attack their warehouse and that fucker will be dead.