Chapter 42

Third person POV

Ten minutes later Dario is helping Kingston back into her dress. That was the shortest they've ever fucked and it was anything but sweet. It was purely animalistic. The craving and desire they had for each clouded their minds. All they saw was each other, their need for each other. Dario noticed the bruises all over her, but every time he tried to stop she told him it was fine and if it got to be too much she would use her safe word which she has never actually used before.

"I have to get back," She says while fixing her makeup in the reflection of the tv. "When I pulled you in here it wasn't for sex it was to answer all your burning questions. I assume since you're here you heard me while in the coma." It wasn't a question. He nods.

"Good, I was praying you would have." She fluffs her dress out, making sure to smooth the wrinkles from when he clenched the fabric. "I only have time for two questions. If I don't get back soon he'll be angrier than he already is." She whispers the last part like it's a secret. A secret he already knows.

"You know you're treating me like a dirty little affair," He chuckles, dryly, without any humor.

"I know," She whispers.

"Why are you helping Anatoly?"

She sighs. "Anatoly and I crossed paths on a mission ten years ago. It was an off the grid, infiltration of a human trafficking mission. I posed as a sex slave and he posed as my abuser. At the time I didn't know who he was he just tried to help me. We explained to each other who we were and it turns out he was working against his father. Together we shut down the ring, but for two months we worked together and became like brother and sister. Ever since we have come up with plan after plan to take his father down. Leaving you was never part of the plan-well falling in love with you and adopting kids was never part of the plan either, but this is the only plan that worked no matter how many times we put it through trial. Toly and I have a blood oath. When he becomes the Don and I become his underboss the Russians will never be a problem for the Italians nor the Americans again."

"Underboss?! Blood oath?! God damn, Kingston you're a fucking genius." Dario exasperates. A blood oath, the one thing that can bind two people together for the rest of their lives. A blood oath is stronger than the bond of marriage.

"I'm pretty sure I mentioned that when we met," She teases, a smug smile gracing her face.

"The light," Dario starts, taking her frail and bony hand in his. "It's gone. The light is gone from your eyes. What is Sergei doing to you? And don't you dare lie to me I noticed the bruises." He says sternly.

"I'm not going to lie to you," She sighs, looking utterly defeated. The exhaustion in her mannerisms is evident and his heartbreaks. He felt like a selfish bastard. She was being abused and he went all dominant alpha male on her. He was rough and animalistic. He shouldn't have listened to her and stopped. "He's an angry drunk and sometimes he takes it out on me, but I can take it, Dario. Toly always takes care of me after. I barely feel the pain and it's only two more months before I can be home with our families. Home with you. All of this will be over."

"Kingston do you even hear yourself? Have you even looked in the mirror? You look utterly defeated like you have given up on life. You look like your dead." Tears slip from his eyes as he explains what she truly looks like. She is slowly killing herself and she doesn't even realize it.

"I know," She whispers. "Anatoly tried to warn me that he was getting more abusive with his maids, but I wouldn't listen. He tried to get me to call off the plan, but I wouldn't listen. I would do anything to save my family and if that includes being abused for a couple of months then I would gladly do it again. This has been going on for a hundred years Dario. I can stop this stupid fucking ongoing war, forever."

"Kingston," He pleads, crouching down to look into her broken eyes. "You're slowly killing yourself. Do you realize that?" She nods. "It could be worse. Anatoly gives me these little syringes to insert into his bloodstream every time it gets too bad or when he tries to force himself on me. I could have it worse Dario, but this isn't just for our families. This is for the families of the girls he has in his rings. The maids he abuses both sexually and physically. The little boys he trains to become dutiful minions. This is for the fear he instills in the lives of Russian civilians, too afraid to walk down the street because they fear getting shot."

"I'm not going to change your mind about this am I?" He asks, clutching her hands tighter, not enough to hurt her. She shakes her head.

"I love you and I am so fucking proud of you," He says.

"I'm sorry it has to be like this," She whispers, a tear trickling down her face. She rips her hands from his and strides to the door. Without looking back, hand hovering over the doorknob she says, "I love you, always and forever, even in hell, especially in hell." And with those parting words, she's gone as if she was never there, taking his shattered heart right along with her.

He wondered if she would make it out of this alive. Kingston was incredibly strong and had an extremely high pain tolerance, but even though it was unsaid by her he knows it's not just physical abuse that bastard is putting her through. If after two months of this and she already looks broken what would another two months look like? He was afraid to know the answer. Somehow this time hurt more than the last and the last he thought she was dead.

🚦🚦🚦🚦🚦

The party had dragged on after their reunion. He no longer wanted to be there, no longer wanted to watch pain flash in her thunderstorm eyes every time their eyes met. He opted to tell Andres what had happened, but only when they were on a plane back to New York. It was the hardest thing he's ever had to do. He felt like he was turning his back on her by leaving Russian, but if he didn't he would march into Sergei's mansion, machine gun in hand, and pull a Tony Montana. He wasn't going to fuck this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity up because not only is it extremely foolish, but Kingston would also murder him.

Anatoly had intercepted Dario at the desserts table and whispered something in passing, something along the lines of, "I would never hurt her." It was nice to have reassurance, but he still wanted to murder Anatoly for the way he looked at Kingston. It wasn't pity, it wasn't sadness, it was love. He looked at her with fucking love! Dario had been watching the two all night and Kingston reciprocated the same look. It made his blood boil in his veins.

These next two months would be long and painful for both of them.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠

Okay so shorter than last chapter, but I'm going to be updating again later. Also this story has like three more chapters left and then an epilogue. The update later will be a three month time jump of the inauguration of Kingston and Anatoly. The chapter after that will be their one year anniversary which is a month after the inauguration and the final chapter will be their wedding and then the epilogue will be like ten years in the future. This is probably stupid of me to tell you, but I know a lot of people get confused with time jumps so I'm just clearing the air.