Chapter 16

"W-what?! But-what-how sure are you?" Kaden stutters.

"Pretty sure-," Kingston whispers in shock and disbelief, "Ninety-nine percent sure. Any child born into the Cruz bloodline has grey eyes. Ava bought these for us for my twelfth birthday." She answers more confidently while handing the kid her necklace.

"It's the same one," He breathes, now holding both necklaces in his hands.

"You have her smile," Kingston comments.

"Do I?" Kaden asks in shocked wonderment. "Cruz? You said Cruz. Is that my father's last name?"

"Yes, your father, my brother Andres Cruz-," Kaden cuts her off.

"Is dangerous," He states in an amused tone almost as if the thought thrilled him, "You're dangerous."

"Yes, your father is dangerous. I am dangerous. Dario is dangerous." Kingston agrees, "Yet, I get the feeling you're used to danger."

"It can be amusing," He reveals, "I love the thrill." Kingston smiles at this.

"Hmm," She smirks, "You are definitely my nephew."

"I can tell your face is mirroring my own," He smirks. "So who are you? A gang? Secret league of assassins? Super mutants created in a lab? Avengers?" Kingston and I chuckle.

"All in due time," Kingston replies, "This is not the time nor the place for such discussions."

"And when will be the right time?" Kaden asks with a puzzled expression.

"After you meet your father," Kingston replies to which the boy's eyes widen.

"As in like now-tonight?" He cries.

"No, not tonight. It's already past midnight. You'll stay at my place tonight and I'll take you to meet the rest of our family tomorrow morning." Kingston explains.

"Family?" Kaden whispers.

"You don't have to meet them all if it's too much," Kingston reassures.

"No," He replies quickly, "It's not too much it's just I've been dreaming about this day for fifteen years." The kid grabs his backpack from off the floor and looks at us hesitantly before walking out of the alley.

"I can't believe I have a nephew," Kingston whispers beside me before following him with me right behind her.

The entire car ride to Kingston's apartment was spent with Kingston and Kaden talking and just getting to know each other. You don't need a DNA test to know he's a Cruz. You can see it all in the eyes, the jaw, the slope of his nose, and he must get his sarcasm from Kingston.

Arriving at King's apartment I park in the underground garage and we make our way up to her floor. Juan is luckily not home to bombard them with questions. Kingston shows Kaden to the guest bedroom while I face plant her bed.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I know I feel the soft lips I crave so much place a light kiss on the back of my neck. I lift my head slowly to see Kingston towering above me in one of my shirts that she cropped and some sweatpants with black Nike pros underneath them. She knows those are my fucking weakness.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you," She apologizes sheepishly.

"It's okay," I reply, "What time is it?"

"Around three in the morning. Kaden and I watched 'Stepbrothers.' I didn't want to wake you." Kingston explains.

"I should go home," I say. "One of my spies gets back from Russia tomorrow morning with information."

"No!" She practically shouts, "I don't know how tomorrow is going to go. Please I just need you to be with me." She pleads.

"Baby, listen to me. Tomorrow is going to go fine. Anyone can see that Kaden is Andres's son and Andres is a good guy he'll take care of him." I reassure.

"I know, it's just when Avalon left it crushed my brother. He was so in love with her. I was only twelve when it happened so it didn't affect me as it affected him. He shut everyone out, trained harder, killed many. He became ruthless. I'm just worried he'll resent Kaden because he looks so much like her." She whispers with tears streaming down her cheeks. I can tell this is tearing her up inside. 

I wrap my arms around her stomach and lay her down on my chest. I slowly stroke her hair as she softly sniffles into my chest. From what I've learned about Kingston in the past three months of being near and observing her it's best to let her calm down before talking.

For instance, when I surprised her at her office last week she was in the middle of a heated phone conversation with a client. When she hung up she proceeded to punch the wall repeatedly before I grabbed her fists and wrapped my arms around her, putting her in a straight jacket hold. She tried to kick her way out of my hold but eventually calmed down and stopped screaming before explaining what happened.

After what I can assume is around twenty minutes Kingston's breathing evens and I can feel a wet spot forming on my shirt. This wouldn't be the first time she's drooled on me and it sure as hell won't be the last. I carefully move her off of me and take my shirt off. I place my arms around Kingston's stomach again and my left leg over hers. I love when she's the little spoon.

I slowly drag my fingertips across her exposed stomach. My fingertips brush over the hard bumps that form her abs. Someday I'm going to put a baby in there.

I kiss her on the side of the neck before drifting off to sleep.

*****

Happy Holidays, everyone! If you want you can comment what you got I love to know what others got for the holidays.
SC🖤