Chapter 22

🦩🦩🦩🦩🦩

Court was exhausting. I'm never nervous in court. I'm never nervous period. But today I couldn't help but tremble and sweat. Within the next two hours, I will know whether or not I'm pregnant. The thought of having a baby with Dario excites me, but I know right now is not the time.

If I am pregnant then Dario would for sure send me into hiding. That means no work, no human contact, no missions, no life. I would be confined to a safe house until the Russians are dealt with.

Currently, Dario and I are sitting in the DaVino hospital wing of New York City General. He picked me up from the office and immediately we came here. About thirty minutes ago, Valentina, a slender older woman took my blood to see if my HCG levels are higher than they should be.

Dario has his arm wrapped around my shoulder as he stares at the wall. Silence it's been like this since he picked me up. I feel like I'm going to burst into tears from the suspense. I've never felt so many emotions at the same time. Happiness, sadness, nervousness, anger, suspense, and many more emotions are taking over me. My anxiety and stress are through the roof and the silence isn't helping.

Clearly, it's not working for Dario either because he breaks the silence. "How was court?"

I turn my head towards him and give him a weak smile. "Stuffy, overwhelming, and my client was getting on my nerves. I think the best option for him is to plead insanity."

"He murdered three people, right?"

"Yeah, not just three people, but his family. Slaughtered his wife, five-year-old child, and his mother."

"What a sick bastard," Dario says. "What was the motive?"

"The child wouldn't clean his room, the wife wouldn't get him a beer, and the mother wouldn't stop complaining. That is the reasoning he gave me. He's a sick fuck and that is coming from a psychopath."

"K-," Dario is cut off by the door opening. Valentina walks in with a clipboard and a petite young intern behind her.

"Is this a bad time?" Valentina asks. "The mood is somber."

"No, not at all." Dario and I say quickly in unison. We look at each other then back at her and the intern. The intern looks like she's about to shit her pants. "So..." I trail off.

"Right, you're not pregnant, Kingston." She says. Dario and I sigh simultaneously. He grips my shoulder tighter as I feel a hot tear drip down my face.

"Your stress levels are very high which is most likely the reason why your period is late and you're eating more. Stress eating is a real thing and as for your other, what did you call it 'cuddliness' yeah that was it. Perhaps you are suddenly feeling cuddly and happy because you're in love." Both Dario and I blush at her ending statement.

"So what do you recommend?" Dario asks.

"Get some sleep. A lot of it by the looks of it. Your body is exhausted. And lower your caffeine consumption, if you drink it. It's been proven meditation helps." She says.

"Thank you, Valentina," Dario says while I try to process the fact that I'm not pregnant. I know I said it was awful timing to have a baby and it wouldn't be fair to the baby to bring them into the world with a war going on, but I feel empty.

Dario places a kiss on my forehead breaking me out of my depressing reverie. I snuggle further into his chest and grab his shirt like my life depends on it. I break down into tears as he softly strokes my hair. I feel water droplets on my hand and I realize he's crying as well.

"D-do you feel-," I sob trying to catch my breath.

"Empty, robbed." He finishes. "Yes."

"We should feel relieved Dario," I cry.

He tilts my head up to meet his watery eyes. "I know we should, but we can also feel the way we do because deep down both of us had hope that we were having a baby. When that stupid Russian fuck is dead I'm going to marry you then I'm going to fuck a baby inside of you and the emptiness will be gone, okay?" He leans down and kisses my stomach. "I'm going to fill that womb one day."

I giggle at his choice of words. We had an unspoken agreement that we would never say the words 'make love' because for one thing we haven't even said the three words yet and those two words both irk us. Like who the hell came up with the saying 'make love?' It sounds so weird. Fuck and sex are better.

"Kingston this wasn't the way I wanted to tell you. I've pictured so many scenarios how I wanted to tell you this. All of them were in a romantic way, under the stars, in the rain, a lot of other cheesy romantic ways. One of them was not in a doctor's office with tears streaming down both of our faces." He pauses and takes a deep breath as I hold mine.

"I love you, Kingston! And I'm not just saying this because we had a pregnancy scare. I wanted to tell you as soon as I realized, but I decided to do it in a romantic way, but you know what fuck that. I can't hold it in anymore. I love you! I fucking love you, small titties and all."

I punch him in the shoulder before connecting our lips in a passionate kiss. He lays me down gently on the cushioned table as I move my hands from his chest to his neck. I pull back, leaning farther into the table. "I fucking love you, Dario Ares Medici DaVino and I can't wait to start a family with you." He smiles widely before connecting our lips once more.

"I've never done it in a hospital before," He whispers huskily against my lips.

"Neither have I."

🛼🛼🛼🛼 🛼

In order to qualify as a mafia book, the main lead must get pregnant or her period must be mentioned 😂. I wanted to write the one book where it's just a scare.
SC🖤