Chapter 37

I decided to update early because I had extra time to write in between classes, but there will still be an update tomorrow.

🥕🥕🥕🥕🥕

Beep, beep. beep, beep, beep, beep

Without opening my eyes I groan and mumble. "Kingston turn it off." The beeping doesn't stop but I hear movement somewhere around me. I can't pinpoint exactly where because my head is throbbing and my vision is foggy. I see two blurry figures to the left of me, I think. I try to get up but am immediately pushed back down.

"Kingston turn your damn phone off," I groan once again. My voice sounds gravely and rough like I haven't used it for a while. The beeping continues. I try to sit up once more but again am immediately pushed back down. My vision starts to become clearer and I realize my mother and father are standing next to me with tears streaming down their cheeks. I look around at my surroundings. I'm in a hospital room, the same room Kingston and I were in when we found out she wasn't pregnant. The only difference is now there is a bed and I'm lying in it.

"What happened? Where's Kingston?" I ask confused. The last thing I remember is telling her I love her by the hummer.

My mother turns her face away and hides it in my father's shoulder while my dad offers me a cup of water which I gladly take. I sit up slightly and gulp the water down, soothing my burning throat. I don't think I've ever been this thirsty in my life, including the time my father dumped me in the Sonoran desert for a week as part of my training. Fun times, fun times.

"Dad, where is Kingston? What happened? Is she okay?" I ask frantically. I don't care about myself right now all I want to know is if she is okay.

He shakes his head and looks at the ground unable to look me in the eyes. A whimper comes from my mom and my heart sinks into my stomach. It's bad, really bad. "Dad...please..." I plead, tears gathering in my eyes.

"There was a bomb in the warehouse. Everyone got out, but Kingston insisted on trying to stop the bomb to make sure we could all get a safe distance enough away, make sure you guys could because you were in the back of the warehouse with no exits. We all heard the whole conversation over the mic. She insisted you leave because your kids needed at least one parent. I'm sorry, son." His voice cracks. "She didn't make it."

And just like that, it all comes back. Her frantic pleading for me to get out. Her beautiful eyes glossed with tears. The promise I made to her. To protect our kids. Her last words.

 "N-no, n-no, no, no. How am I going to live without her?" I break down, the tears are streaming down my cheeks and falling onto my neck and chest. My mother and father gather me into a hug and just hold me until I fall asleep.

🌧🌧🌧🌧🌧

Here we go again. I wake up to that annoying beeping again, except this time when I wake up there are two small bodies curled up into my side and three other larger bodies sleeping on the couch. The only light in the room is coming from the machines I'm hooked up to and a small light over the sink.

I try to reach for the water on my bedside table, but as if I'm a child again and can't control my limbs; I knock over the cup and it falls on the ground with a clang. "Fuck!" I whisper. I sigh and hear two small giggles. I look to my right and see Rosa and Sky awake quietly giggling.

"What are you two cuties giggling about?" I quirk a brow.

"Daddy said a bad word," Sky giggles like it's the funniest thing in the world. "He has to put a dollar in the swear jar."