Chapter 14

Dario and I played an extra thirteen rounds before we decided it was time for food. Saying bye to Claire, we make our way out the door and to Dario's car.

Buckling up I ask the million-dollar question: "What's for dinner?"

"You'll see," He responds nonchalantly.

"But I wanna know now," I whine.

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"I'll be your best friend,"

"You're already my girlfriend."

"I'm regretting agreeing to that," I mutter under my breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing, baby." I hum.

I plug my phone into the aux chord and start blasting 34 + 35 by Ariana Grande, which is my new favorite song by the way. I turn it up to full volume and start singing along. Dario doesn't object to my awful singing.

"Baby, you might need a seatbelt when I ride it. I'ma leave it open like a door, come inside it. Even though I'm wifey, you can hit it like a side chick. Don't need no side dick, no"

"Got the neighbors yellin', "Earthquake" (earthquake)
4.5 when I make the bed shake (bed shake),"

I spare a side glance at Dario. He changes position slightly and that's when I notice it.

"Are you really turned on right now?" I shout incredulously.

He groans, "Don't you get it, Kingston, everything you do turns me on. Thinking of you turns me on. Even your terrible singing turns me on!"

How do I respond to this? What do I say? Why am I always speechless in the presence of this man?

"Um, err-what's for dinner?" I internally facepalm. What the fuck?! All I could stutter out was a question I already asked. God, Kingston, you weak bitch!

He chuckles, "What? No smart ass reply."

"Shut up," I huff in annoyance which just causes him to laugh more.

*****

"We're here," He announces around two songs later.

"Bobbies Burgers," I say aloud, my tone laced in amusement.

"Yup, it's based off the burger joint in 'Bobs Burgers.'" Dario replies.

"I figured," I muse.

*****

After ordering our burgers Dario and I sat at the back of the restaurant. The interior really does look like it stepped right out of 'Bobs Burgers' it even looked slightly animated.

"Wanna play twenty questions?" I ask. He nods before taking a sip of his coke. What kind of monster comes to a burger joint and doesn't get a milkshake?

"What's the real reason you quit being an assassin?" He asks bluntly.

"Diving into the deep end, already." I chuckle trying to hide my nervousness.

I take a deep breath before answering, "I had a partner once. He was Andres's best friend and was once mine. We trained together every day and eventually grew feelings for each other. We used to do missions together I was Shadow and he was Ghost." I take a sip of my milkshake.

"If you haven't already guessed he was the guy I lost my virginity to. I was head over heels in love with him, but I quickly learned it was all an illusion. About three months after we made it official and a week after I completely gave myself to him I caught him fucking my cousin. I quickly dismissed it because I was blinded by love and I continued to let it happen for about a year."

"I met someone on one of my missions. It was something they said that made me finally realize my worth, but by that time he had already gotten the last laugh anyway so it didn't matter if I broke it off with his. He ended up getting her pregnant so he broke up with me before I could with him. I was devastated. Finally, the baby was born and he looked so much like Elliot. The asshole realized he wasn't ready for a kid and abandoned them to try and get back together with me. That day I lost control and all I saw was red. I tortured him in a way I had never tortured anybody before. I vowed to never lose control like that again, so I decided no more Shadow. But as you know that didn't work out and now I only take jobs to satisfy the bloodlust."

"Do you think you'll ever love me as you loved him?" He asks hesitantly.

"No," I answer honestly. I watch as his face falls. Flashes of different emotions take over his face. Disappointment, sorrow, embarrassment, and finally anger.

I grab his hand across the table and interlace our fingers. His eyes drift downwards and something like awe crosses his features.

"I never loved him, like I said it was an illusion. I realized two things the day I killed him. One: there is a difference between love and comfort. I wasn't in love with him per se, I was in love with the feeling and comfort I felt around him. Before we started dating my grandma had just died and I felt empty and broken as she was the closest thing I had to my mother. I hated the bitch, but she was still my mom and I still loved her. He was just a distraction to forget my fucked up life, honestly."

"Two: He was my past. I felt like shit after killing him, but I remembered that what I did was in the past. I couldn't go back in time and not kill him or better yet not date him. He was my past and I wasn't going to allow him to affect my future. So, no Dario I will never love you the way I loved him because I never loved him. I will love you in a way that I will never love another. I will love you in a way some can only dream of. I will love you in a way that it physically hurts me seeing you in pain."

Hey, ok so I know I said at the end of last chapter I was going to introduce a new character in this chapter well as I was planning this chapter out I realized it would have been to long. Also I'm pretty much an emotionless bitch in real life so when writing shit like this I don't really know how to write characters responses to sad stuff. It would be really helpful if anybody can leave some tips.

Thank you for reading,
SC🖤