Chapter 41

Twenty-seven days later

Tomorrow is the engagement party. In less than twenty-four hours I'm going to get confirmation to the burning question that's been nagging at my brain for the past month. If Kingston is indeed his fiancé I don't know how tomorrow is going to go. There is only so much fucking self-control I have and seeing his hands all over her body is going to test the fucking limit. 

Andres and I decided it was best not to tell anyone about the revelations I had come up with. There were still missing pieces of the puzzle, but for the most part, we had come up with the following: Kingston pretends to be a Russian obedient wife with no backbone just like Sergei wants. She killed his father and to take over the throne he must be married to ensure an heir. She kills him once they're married as Shadow and plays the distraught and heartbroken wife. Since there would be no heir then Anatoly would take over as leader.

The only things we can not comprehend are: why would she help Anatoly? Why couldn't she just kill both Sergei Sr and Sergei Jr instead of marrying the twat. It seems as if she's losing a lot more than she is gaining because what could she possibly gain from marrying the twat? If she had just killed both of them months ago then she wouldn't be putting us through all of this shit. That is where Anatoly would come into play. We can't fathom why she would help him because as far as we know she has a deep burning hatred for Russians, especially the Ivanov family.

It makes sense Kingstons' mother slept with Sergei Sr and fed him classified information while pregnant with Kingston. She was a money-sucking leech and was the reason why they grew up without a true mom, but Leta filled that position pretty well.

Only Andres and I are attending. In fact, we hadn't really informed anyone what we were going to we just said we were flying to speak to another mafia leader who was having problems. We didn't specify who as our mothers would see right through the lie.

Standing in front of the full-length mirror, looping the dress tie just the way Kingston showed me how, excitement and curiosity bubbling in the pit of my stomach along with dread, nervousness,  and anger. Nervousness because I have no idea what I'm going to see. I'm either going to see her alone or with that Russian twats' hands all over her. Anger at what she's done, anger at what she has put our families through. Dread of what I might do and might say to her if I see her.

🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳

"Ready?" Andres asks as we stand in front of the towering hotel where the engagement party was being held.

"As I'll ever be, you?" I answer, rubbing my hands together in anticipation. He nods, swallowing the lump in his throat.

We enter the hotel and a hostess guides us to the ballroom. Suits and dresses of vibrant hues cover the room like a watercolor painting. Round tables are set with six chairs each line the left side of the room and long tables of delectable foods line the right side of the room. Trays filled with cookies sprinkled in sugar, cakes frosted in smooth frosting flavored from buttercream to lemon poppyseed.

I feel a pair of eyes on the back of my head and an involuntary shiver runs down my spine. I turn around and then I feel as if the wind has been knocked out of me. My blue eyes meet grey ones. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up, my whole body feels as if it's been set on fire, every nerve tingles-a reaction I could only ever get from looking at her.

She was wearing a black chiffon dress with ruffles along the slit and neckline. One-shoulder was bare while the other was enveloped loosely in black chiffon. Her hair was now blonde and flowing down her back like silk. She looked thinner, her cheekbones more defined, her skin as pale as paper. The light was gone from her grey eyes. They were even darker than when I had first met her almost a year ago. She looked utterly exhausted and like she had given up on life.