Prologue

"Ms. LaRose, have you seen the news?" My assistant Mika asks as she hands me my fourth Starbucks of the day. Hey, don't judge. I'm a busy woman and I was hella horny last night so I didn't get much sleep.

"Mika, please call me Kingston, and what about it?" I ask with furrowed brows. I usually have the television on in my office or in the lobby, which I can see through my glass office, but today I've been so busy I forgot to turn it on and sneak the occasional glance in the lobby. "Which one of my clients drove drunk now? Oh, no wait! Which married politician knocked up some chick?"

She doesn't respond, instead just grabs the remote to my flatscreen and turns it on to CNN. The tv screen reads-Breaking News: Billionaire real estate developer; Dario DaVino arrested on suspicion of the murder of Governor of New York; Wilson Hughes.

Fuck, man. I never liked that guy.

I listen to the news reporter tell the story of his arrest. According to New York Police Chief, the station received an anonymous tip DaVino was involved in the murder. Upon further investigation, a gun registered to DaVino was found at the scene of the crime with his fingerprints on it.

I don't know DaVino personally but I do know that he is an extremely intelligent and calculated man. There is no way he left his gun, for that is a rookie mistake.

"Mika, call Brewski and tell him I'm taking the case," I tell her while powering down my laptop. I shuffle some loose papers on my desk and arrange them in a neat pile. I'm kind of a neat freak.

"Right away Ms. LaRo-Kingston," She corrects herself. Fucking finally. I thought she'd never learn.

I place my MacBook Air and my phone in my obsessively large purse and head to the elevator. Once I'm in my Matte Black, Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye I brave the pain that is New York City traffic.

After around 45 minutes of grueling patience, I finally arrive at the station. Once inside I'm met with fearful and wary looks. Many people are scared and intimated by me so it's nothing I'm not used to. Although this time these looks aren't due to my presence they are due to Dario DaVino's presence.

I make my way towards the office of Mitchell Brewski; the NYPD Chief of Police. Upon entering I hear loud shouts and curses in both English and Italian.

I enter his office without knocking. All three men immediately shut their asses up. Two of the men look slightly familiar while Brewski just looks like his same old fat self.

"Kingston," Brewski says with a scowl on his face. We don't have the best history. He asked me out numerous times over the years but I rejected him every time. He's older than my dad and he's been asking me out since I was an associate, which was at eighteen. Talk about a pedophile.

"Brewski," I say emotionlessly. I really do not have time for his pervy ass.

"How many times have I told you to knock?" He asks rhetorically.

"How many times have I told you I don't care?" I deadpan. He huffs dramatically.

"I'm here for D-"

"I know who you're here for," He cuts me off, "Are you sure you want to take on this case. A little girl like you might not be able to handle the big, intimidating billionaire." He mocks. Bitch, what?

I give him a sickly sweet smile, "Thank you for the concern, but I will be fine."

"Alright, he's in room three. Take his goons with you." He says nodding towards the two men with scowls on their faces.

I don't say anything, instead just make my way towards room three with the two semi handsome men behind me. I say semi-handsome because I'm really picky when it comes to men. They give me the ick sometimes.

"Names and relation?" I ask staring straight ahead as I walk. I'm a straight shooter and a ballbuster, so don't be expecting cheesy small talk and fake smiles.

"Lucas DaVino, cousin." One says with a hint of an Italian accent.

"Vader Moschino, best friend." The other says.

I stop in front of the door and jut my hand out for them to shake, "Kingston LaRose. It's nice to meet you, gentlemen." I say with a polite smile.

"Likewise Ms. LaRose." They say in unison while shaking my hand firmly.

"Before you go in there just know he can be a little bit of a...how do I put this...diva," Lucas says while tapping his chin pretending to think for the right word to describe their boss.

I chuckle, "Well then it's a good thing I'm the biggest bitch you'll ever meet and won't hesitate to put someone in their place."

"This should be interesting," Vader chuckles.

Her car⬆️

Her car⬆️

I just gotta rant bro. Everything I've picked out you guys have picked apart and hated 😭. She's a lawyer people! She has to dress profesional. She can't dress slutty like we all want her to. I don't like this dress either but it was literally like the nicest thing I could find that was not too short or not showing too much skin. Please, if you don't like it just shut up about it. You people are making my people pleasing OCD flair! My last fucking attempt at pleasing people. Pick either outfit or go find one you like. Oh and on the last outfit, you guys didn't have to make fun of the poor model 😭.

Her outfit and shoes