Chapter 36

Dario

I watched as Andres shouted orders to our men. Kingston stood beside me, our hands interlaced. She wasn't paying attention I could tell. Her eyes were glazed over with a faraway look and she was biting the inside of her cheek. A clear sign she was either nervous or the monster inside of her was lusting for blood.

It was no secret something dark and dangerous lurked inside of Kingston, something far worse than what lurked inside of everyone, including me. We all have darkness within us. It's a fact many people aren't ready to admit and probably never will be. For people like me and Kingston, we've accepted it, we are proud of it.

Richard Ramirez once said, "We've all got the power in our hands to kill, but most people are afraid to use it. The ones who aren't control life itself." I have never related more to a quote in my life. I have the power to kill, I do kill, and I run the damn world, and the best part is; I do it with a smile on my face and the most drop-dead gorgeous woman by my side. I'm talking literally too, men see my woman and they drop like flies the next moment.

I savor this moment as I squeeze her hand and stare at her. This could be the last time I see her and as much as I don't want to think like that I have to because this is not like the movies where the protagonist somehow survives a bullet wound that should have killed them or an explosion that should have scattered their body parts; this is reality. A reality where a bullet to the chest could burst an artery or an organ and we could bleed out and die. A reality where a knife could be shoved into our hearts.

Reality sucks, but it's the truth, therefore I guess the truth just sucks.

I grab Kingston's hand and lead her away from everyone and behind a hummer. She looks at me with a questioning look, but I don't dare acknowledge it. I push her against the side of the black hummer and rest my forehead against hers. She places her warm hands on the side of my face and slowly with the pads of her thumb strokes the dark circles under my eyes. She tilts her head up to place a kiss on the tip of my nose.

"I know what you're going to say so don't say anything. Just enjoy this moment." She whispers, tears threatening to spill from her beautiful eyes. I rub sensual circles into the exposed skin right above her waistline. She sighs softly in contempt.

"I love you," I whisper.

"And I love you," She whispers back. "More than you will ever know."

We stay like this for some time before Andres comes to tell us it's time. We get into the lead hummer and start the journey to the warehouse. Around an hour later we arrive outside the borders of the security sensors. Kingston quickly disables them and very silently we creep to the borders.

"Be careful," Kingston says. "And don't die." I finish. She mutters something that I don't catch because her voice is drowned out by the commands from Andres filtering through the mic in my ear. I tighten the straps of my bulletproof vest and notice Kingston doing the same.

"King, how much time do we have left?" Andres' voice filters through once again.

"Ten minutes, we have ten minutes to slip inside unnoticed. Two hundred soldiers to take down. Aim to kill." She says. If we weren't about to walk into a massacre I would stop to think about how sexy she looks in her leather outfit, giving commands like a boss.

"You heard her aim to kill in 3...2...1." And with those words, the group King and I are leading set off. The warehouse isn't particularly in dense forest, but it's not exactly in a barren field either. Kingston and I use machetes to cut down the foliage while the soldiers behind us scout the area, guns in the air ready. Seven other groups led by Armando, my father, Juan, Vader, Lucas, Andres, and James are spread out doing the same thing King and I's group is. I refused to let Kingston lead a group-not because I didn't think she could handle it, but because I didn't want to be apart from her.