Chapter 40

A month later

Today is Valentine's day and it fucking sucks. On the first Valentine's day, I have a girlfriend and she's in Russia doing god knows what while I sit in my office petting the dog we always talked about getting. I have had Valentine's day planned for months. I had Thanksgiving planned, Christmas planned, New Year planned, and I don't even get to celebrate any of those because I was in a fucking coma and now the one that I'm actually awake for I can't fucking celebrate because my girlfriend is off playing superhero.

I adopted Shadow from the animal shelter last week and everyone loves him especially Sky and Rosa. The whole house's atmosphere shifted from somber and mourning to loving and playful when I brought him home. Rosa even hugged me when I brought him home. He is four years old and the sweetest dog you could ever meet, but he is also intimidating because of his size. Great Danes don't have a high life expectancy in fact he'll probably pass away in about six years, but I didn't want to get a puppy without Kingston and I couldn't say pass up on his little face when I saw him at the shelter.

 Great Danes don't have a high life expectancy in fact he'll probably pass away in about six years, but I didn't want to get a puppy without Kingston and I couldn't say pass up on his little face when I saw him at the shelter

(So this is a bad picture, but it was the best one I had of him with his whole body on display. This is my actual dog, his name is Cruz (spelled exactly like Kingston's last name), he is four years old and he is my second Great Dane. He is the sweetest dog ever, but also has extreme anger issues.)

I named him Shadow not because I miss Kingston, but because of his color. I mean well I do miss Kingston, but I'm still pissed at her. I just want my wife back and I say wife because if she hadn't left she would be my wife by now because I wanted to propose on Christmas Eve at the cabin.

"Shadow I swear to god you are just like your mother," I groan as I feel his large body on top of mine. I let him sleep in the bed with me because apparently Sky and Rosa are on good terms now and are sharing their room again. He doesn't move. Why did I have to pick the dog with long ass legs and a tendency to invade people's personal space?

"Shadow, Shadow, Shadow," I poke his stomach that is lying across my own, but the damn dog still doesn't move. "Is that bacon I smell?" I say in his ear. They perk up and he bolts out of the room. I chuckle. That always worked with Kingston.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

"Dario, Sergei Ivanov Jr just landed in New York and he has requested a meeting with you and Andres," Lucas says from the seat across from me.

"Request granted," I grunt. I inwardly smirk. This should be good.

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

"What do you think this is about?" Andres asks from beside me. A scowl is etched on his face, his arms are crossed, and he can barely control his rage.

"I don't know, but he certainly has a death wish," I mutter. The only reason I will not be killing this mother fucker today is because I know she is not dead and the Russians don't know Kingston is dead because to them my girlfriend was just a lawyer. She was not on that mission. She is not dead. I can't risk compromising her plan by putting a bullet in his skull.

The Russian twat and another man in his mid-twenties walk through the door of my restaurant. Four guards in tow. They pull out the two chairs across from us. My eyes scan over the younger one. He has blonde hair and bright grey eyes, a sharp jawline, and a deep scar across his nose that looks as if it's been broken many times. The resemblance is uncanny, this must be the younger brother, the assassin. I have no idea what his name is and judging by the look Andres gives me out of the corner of my eye I know he has realized the same thing.

"DaVino and Cruz, a pleasure." Sergei beams. "I'm sure you know who I am, but you do not know my brother, Anatoly." Anatoly?! As in Toly, the name Kingston said.

Anatoly nods in greeting as Andres and I do the same. "Why are you here, Ivanov?" I ask through clenched teeth.

"I came to strike up a truce," He says nonchalantly as if it's the simplest thing in the world.

"And why wouldn't your father attend if you wanted to strike up a truce. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he is still the Don, yes?" Andres asks.

Sergei frowns, but Anatoly's lip twitches almost as if he wants to smirk but refuses to do so. "Our father was murdered in his bedroom chambers last week, by Shadow." Andres's jaw drops open and he looks at me with widened eyes.

"T-that's impossible," Andres gasps. "Shadow is dead."

"No, Shadow is not dead. He was just off the grid there was no proof he was dead." Sergei responds.

Anatoly's lips twitches again and he looks at me and Andres. "Alive," He mouths. Andres kicks my foot under the table, a silent question if I saw. I kick him back and nod slightly in understanding.

"It was my understanding Shadow was working with your father," It wasn't a question as I know she actually wasn't.

"Yes, or so we thought." Sergei answers. "He was feeding us false information which leads me to believe he was working for you." He smirks.

"Shadow doesn't work for anybody; however, he does work for a price. We must have offered him a better price and as for Shadow I shot him myself so I know for a fact he is dead. The person who killed your father must have copied his M/O?"

Andres's face stays neutral but his eyes are brewing with unasked questions. "Look I'm not like my father. I know when to quit while I'm ahead and right now as I am taking over I don't want to aimlessly waste away my resources. Therefore, I want to proclaim a truce."

"That can be done," I say. I kick Andres under the table. "I agree," He grunts.

"Then it's settled," Sergei beams. "As an extension of the olive branch, I wish to invite you to my engagement party next month. My beautiful fiancé was actually the one who convinced me to make peace and she would love to meet you two."

"We will be there," I say with no hesitation. I'm hoping and praying I'm right and she will be there. The clues are all there. It is Russian code in the mafia all leaders must be married to ensure an heir. The thought of another man touching the love of my life makes my blood boil, but it would be an incredible plan if she married him, killed him, and gained control of the Russian mafia with Anatoly. The signs are all there, she left me the signs knowing I would be able to figure it out. My wife is a fucking genius. The only thing I can't understand is why Anatoly would help her. There is some part I am missing.

The Russian twat and his brother leave a little while later. Anatoly smirks at me on the way out and I nod and match his smirk.

Andres was pissed I hid the fact that his sister was alive from him, but when he heard my reasoning he calmed down and we talked about her plan.
There are still parts we are missing but I think we hit the main points.

😍😍😍😍😍

Happy Valentine's Day everybody! This chapter was originally not going to pan out like this and I feel like it could be better so for that I'm sorry. But I had to release this chapter today because it lined up with Valentine's Day.