Chapter Fourty Nine.

Sofia woke up with only one thing on her mind. Was it to scream? Yes. Was it to confront her parents? Yes. So, that's exactly what she did.

Maybe if Sofia was in a different emotional state, she would think things over. She was never the type for confrontation, but they needed to know how she felt.

Her emotions seemed to carry her to the kitchen and dining room more than her legs did. She was exhausted from crying all night, and only getting a few hours of sleep.

"Mornin', Sof! Are you ready to—"

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?"

Sofia's scream made her Mother drop her spatula that she was using to fry eggs with. Her Father furrowed his eyebrows at her, and shook his head.

"Language, Sofia Cherith!" Her Mom barked at her, and Sofia laughed spitefully.

"So, when we're either of you going to tell me?"

The two parents both looked at each other with a confused look on their face,

"Sofia, what are you—"

"Don't you dare, Dad! Don't you even dare try to play dumb! I heard your guys's conversation in the bathroom last night!"

Sofia's Dad sighed out of defeat when she said that. He felt his heart break. She found out the exact thing he didn't want her to know.

"Sof—" her Mother started, but Sofia interrupted her, needing to get her point across. "Stop! I'm sick of you two lying to me all the time! Especially you, Mom!"

Tears formed the woman's eyes as her daughter called her out. She never enjoyed lying to Sofia, it was only to protect her.

Sofia whipped her head around to her Dad, "Dad, it's not true, right?" Sofia's voice started to crack, "You're not dying! You're not dying because you're only getting better like you told me in all of the letters you wrote me while I was gone? Because—you would never lie to me, right? You will always tell me the truth about these types of things because I deserve to know!"

Her Dad looked away from her, seeing as she started to cry,

"Look at me, Dad!"

He couldn't bring himself to do it. He didn't want to see his whole heart breaking down like this. His daughter, who he loved, dedicated his entire existence to, and who he cherished the most. He couldn't see her break. It would only break him.

"Daddy, look at me please!" Sofia pleaded, banging her fist on the table.

The silence was deafening. The only thing that could be heard was the grease that was now burning on the pan.

"I need to know! Someone please answer me!"

Sofia then started to cry. She held herself, still keeping her eyes on her blank less Father.

"H-H-How is my Professor involved? You guys were taking about him last night. I—You guys said that he had told you guys some stuff. How do you guys know him?!"

No answer.

"Dad, you're not really dying! You're not! This has happened a million times before! You'll be alright. You always make it through this type of stuff!"

No answer.

He didn't even look at her.

"LOOK AT ME, PLEASE!" Sofia screamed, taking the nearest coffee mug, the same one she had sipped from on Christmas morning, and busted it onto the floor.

That made her Dad look at her. And, it made her Mom sob.

"Just—you need to calm down, Sof..."