Chapter Sixty Seven.

Neville stood there, shocked. He didn't expect for Sofia to actually tell him to stay. He expected for her to scream at him to get out, and never come back.

"Don't go..."

Neville studied her face. She looked so sad, so lost. It managed to smash his heart into tiny pieces, and it made him feel like blades were gashing into his stomach lining.

"Don't go, away. Please. I-I-I just—I'm sorry for all the hell I've put you through and—I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm sorry..." as she cried, Neville ran over to her, and sat next to her on the bed.

"Sof... it's alright. There's no need to apologize." he reassured her, rubbing her back gently in an attempt to comfort her,

"But, there is, Neville! I—I've put you through so much, and I thought that by leaving you alone and staying away would be better for you. But, I'm just so selfish! A-A-And, I just kept coming back and—"

"Sofia," he interrupted, and put his hand over hers. "Stop," his other hand trailed to the side of her face, "Don't you dare call yourself selfish. You only thought you were doing the right thing. There's nothing wrong with that, Sof..."

His voice was so gentle, so soft. To Sofia, it sounded like the waves crashing onto the shore at night. It was heavenly, and it always brought her so much peace.

"I just—" Sofia choked out, Neville still holding his hand over hers. "I just want to be with you. I just don't feel like I can."

Those words somehow seemed to bandage up Neville's heart.

"Sof, if you're not ready, that's okay. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel like you had to be with me. If you need time, that's alright. I told you... I would wait for you."

Sofia looked up at him. His bright, blue eyes stared right back at her, patiently waiting for her next words.

"I just don't wanna drag you down. I'm so... fucked up..."

Neville went silent for a moment, taking in Sofia's appearance.

"I'm fucked up too, Sof. Just as fucked up as you, probably..."

"But—"

"I am, Sof. You don't even know half of the things I've had to face. But, being with you... it makes me feel stronger. I don't feel weak around you..."

Sofia didn't know how to respond.

Her eyes darted to his lips, who were red and plump from the amount of biting he had done due to his anger. She looked back into his eyes, and was seeming to try and find a good way to respond.

"I love you."

That's all she could think to say.

It was because, she did love Neville. She loved everything about him. He was the only person who had truly understood her, and tried to make an attempt to help her. He was the only permanent thing that Sofia knew she had.

He was home.

Neville smiled small at the girl, his heart warming up and his cheeks flushing from her words.

"And, I love you..." he responded, and gently kissed her forehead.

Sofia wiped her tears,

"Can I have a hug?" Sofia asked shyly,

"You don't even have to ask, Sof."