Chapter Fifty Three.

Students drawled out of the Potions class in relief as they were happy to get away from Snape. But, on the other hand, Sofia couldn't share the same feeling.

Neville had informed Sofia earlier that day that Snape had wanted to speak with her. She was prepared to grill the man for the lies that had been shoved in her face about her Father. And, now would be the perfect time due to the fact she didn't have her next class for another 25 minutes.

Snape was putting away certain ingredients, cleaning up a bit before his next swarm of students would arrive. Sofia put her things away slowly, and threw her bag over her shoulder as she got up,

"Professor Snape?"

The Professor looked up at her, and a gleamingly distasteful feeling hit Sofia's stomach just from his cold glare.

"Neville said you wanted to have a word with me,"

He nodded, "I'm a bit shocked at the concept of Longbottom even remembering to tell you such a miscellaneous thing."

Sofia rolled her eyes at the obvious jab at Neville.

"Yeah... so what is it?"

Snape deep down was shocked at the girl's rude demeanor, as she seemed to always tremble every time he came about in her sights.

"It's about your Father."

Sofia's heart sunk a little just from the slightest mention of him. She had been trying to cope with the whole scenario ever since she had found out that her Dad was basically waiting patiently on his death bed.

"Your Mother wrote me a letter... tell me you found out about the treatments, and the true nature of your Father's health. Is that true?" he asked, slowly stepping closer to the small girl.

"Yeah. You and my parents seem to be pretty good at lying about those types of things." Sofia spat at him, but the Professor's face twisted into an annoyed one.

"I never lied. Not once did I ever speak a falsified statement about my relations with your Father. So don't accuse the wrong person..."

Snape had such a intimidating voice, that it made Sofia's stomach flip.

"Not to be rude or anything but you nor my parents told the truth either,"

Snape rolled his eyes, already exhausted from having a conversation with the girl.

"You seem to be in denial, Miss Cherith. I hate to burst your bubble, but your Father won't live to see at least the Spring weather due to the way his sickness is eating him from the inside out."

He was so blunt. And, he didn't seem to care. Snape never showed a speck to empathy to any student, not even Sofia.

"You're wrong."

Snape breathed in,

"Is that so?"

Sofia gulped, mentally preparing herself.

"Yes, it is so. My Father is the strongest person I've ever met. He's survived these scares hundreds of times, and those were way worse than this."

Sofia was in denial. She knew that she was. But, she didn't want to believe that her Father was dying. It was too much to handle.

"Miss Cherith, if the treatments I've provided him with cannot save him... then nothing else will. You need to accept it as he has. Don't be a nuisance."

Sofia was offended by his choice of words.

"Don't be a liar." she barked back. She knew she was treading on thin ice, but she wasn't going to have a Professor cross a boundary that he shouldn't.

He only stepped closer to her,

"I am not a liar. Watch what you say Miss Cherith, or you'll be serving detention with me for the next month."

She laughed spitefully,

"You're rubbing my Dad's illness in my face practically! How would you feel if someone you loved died and there was absolutely nothing you could do to stop it?!"

Suddenly, there was silence. A cold, but deafening silence. Just by the look on the man's page face, she knew she must've hit a nerve.

"Enough of this. Leave now, and return back to your useless friends. Now."

Sofia's mouth opened to respond, but he only stopped her.

"Now."

The stern and angry look on his face only made Sofia turn around, and rush out of the classroom. As she did, she felt hot tears brim her eyes.

She felt weak. She felt as if she had just been squashed on like a bug.

Maybe Snape was right. Maybe she should just accept it. Maybe she should just accept the fact that saying goodbye to her Father at the platform was the last time she would ever see him.

No.

He couldn't.

"Sofia?"

Sofia looked up from where her eyes were darted on the floor, and she saw Hermione with a book in her hand.

"Are you alright?"

Hermione noticed the shiny look in her eyes. She looked as if she was about to break.

"Yeah. I'm fine." Sofia sniffled, practically swallowing her cry.

"Well... Neville is looking for you. I just passed by him a few minutes ago,"

Sofia simply nodded, and began to walk away.

"Are you sure you're alright, Sof?"

Sofia sent Hermione a sad smile,

"As alright as one can be, Hermione."