When Two B-17s Flew Piggyback (Yarnhub)

Jr: We'll see something bizarre that happened in history

The screen starts with, you know.

It's December the 31st 1944, New Year's Eve. But many brave young men are not celebrating today as they crew a group of 37 planes conducting a mission targeting oil refineries over Hamburg. Having completed their mission, the surviving planes have been flying through flak for over an hour, it's so dark that you can't see the sky.

Inko: That's scary

Lieutenant Glenn Rojohn is in command of a B17-G "The Little Skipper".

Jr: People named their military planes during the war

Nezu: Interesting thing to do

He and his crew are desperately trying to find a way through the flak. Manoeuvring as best they can to avoid the plumes of smoke and fire bursting all around them and their comrades. Finally the planes reached the North Sea and to everyone's relief the flak subsides.

Kaminari: So they're in the clear?

Now flying straight and level the planes take position in formation with all crews watching carefully for enemy fighters. There is a strong headwind that means the B17s are traveling much slower than usual. Suddenly they're spotted.

Kyoka: You were-

Kaminari: SHUT UP

At 22,000 feet the B-17s are jumped and a battle takes place. There are countless enemies and wave after wave of German Me- 109 fighters buzz and strafe the American planes.

Deku: Wow that's a lot of them

Jr: BTW, error, it's actually Bf 109, not Me 109 because yes it's made by Messerschmitt, which is also known as "Me," but the "Bf" stands for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke, which the Bf 109, my favorite plane, is made by

Staying in tight formation is the best defense but the fighters are relentless and many B-17's are lost. The Me- 109s are coming in so close on their attack runs that the faces of their pilots can be seen by Rojohn and his crew. B17's are known for their resilience but they can only take so much damage.

Camie: I'm impressed that they can take a lot of damage

Jr: They're called "Flying Fortress" for a reason for being the best strategic bomber

With so many planes going down, the "Lucky Lassie" becomes the alternate leader and the planes take action to form a tightly defensive formation around it. There's a flash and Rojohn sees a terrible sight of the plane in front of him being badly hit, slide out of formation and drop down towards the sea below.

Everyone felt shocked.

Bakuhoe: It's just a plane, who cares

Iida: MANY PEOPLE DIED IN WARS LIKE THIS

Bakuhoe: Tsk, whatever

The fighters are swarming all over and Lt Rojohn needs to fill the gap in the new formation. Determinedly, gunning his plane forward, he increased the speed to fill the gap and restores the defensive integrity of the formation trying to make it home. The Me- 109's though are merciless and just underneath Rojohn's plane another B-17, "The Nine Lives" has been hit. The plane is still flying but the pilot and co-pilot have been taken out.