When a BF-109 Sliced Through a B-17

Jr: Alright, it's History time

Huey shrieks in happiness, again.

The video starts with a fleet of B-17s taking off.

It's February the 1st, 1943 and taking off from Biskra in Algeria are a formation of B-17 bombers belonging to the 414th squadron, 97th bombardment group. Their target is 300 miles away at the seaport of Tunis which is controlled by the Germans. At the controls of the B-17F, The All American sits Lt Ken Bragg Jr and his co pilot Godfery Engle Jr. En route the B-17s were repeatedly harassed by Bf 109s.

Everyone still couldn't shake away how terrifying being one of the Crewmen of the B-17 would be like.

Putting up a brave defense they manage to make it through to the target. And the German fighters peel off just before the flak starts up.

Huey: Flak fire doesn't have to hit the plane, just like an underwater mine

The bombardier, Ralph Burbridge, takes control. The flak is very thick and the crew are shook repeatedly. Burbridge though does his job and over Tunis releases the load of bombs.

Sero: Man, he's very determined

Olley: That's what they're all supposed to do

The All American and the rest of the B-17s turn for home. On their return, once out of the flak the formation is targeted again by German fighters. Tenaciously they hang on to the formation doing repeated passes and taking chunks out of the B-17s. That is until their maximum range is reached and the Germans are forced to turn back home.

Denki: This was short

Kyoka: That's because you're not watching the whole way through

Thankfully, the All American is still im good shape and all the crews breathe a sigh of relief as they are almost out of German range. But any celebrations are too early when suddenly the cry goes up, "Bandits!" as 2 Bf 109s are spotted.

Mahoro: Can't they just give up, they're nearly out of their range anyways

Louie: Sometimes, people kept going, even if it's out of their range

At the controls of the fighters are 2 very experienced German pilots. One of the Bf 109s targets the lead plane in the squadron. The gunners on the All American try and defend the lead bomber. The right side gun pumps lead into the Bf 109 and it's a critical hit.

Everyone cheered for the B-17 Gunner.

The 109 slipped under the formation streaming smoke and oil and went down in the desert below.

Deku: Did the Pilot jumped out

Saitama: I don't think he did

Meanwhile the second 109 "Yellow 1" piloted by Eric Paczia gets the All American in its sights. Paczia is an experienced pilot with 16 victories to his name. His plan is to take the All American head on and roll underneath it.

All Might: Sly maneuver right there

The nose gunner has other plans and gets to work. The All American is hit repeatedly but the plucky crew continued their defense, peppering Yellow 1 with lead...all the time it's flying closer to the point it's filling the gun sights.

Deku: They have to hit him down soon!

In the Bf 109 his attack run done, Paczia starts to roll and line up for another attack, but the hail of fire from the B-17 has done its job, incapacitated the pilot.