chapter 10: around the corner

It was the next day and I was heading to Snapes for my private lessons during lunch. And I had so much on my mind. I still haven't given Dumbledore an answer about the Yule ball, I had private lessons with Snape, and I had another detention. Crap. I have to tell Snape I can't go to his lessons after dinner because I had to go to Lockharts for detention at the same time. How was I gonna tell him that he would probably be so angry and think I'm wasting his time. I stopped by the Great Hall and snagged an apple to tie me over til dinner, taking my time to think of how I was gonna tell Snape. I don't know why I cared so much, I'm sure he's not really gonna care that much. I stopped outside Snape's room and knocked on the door and waited for a response. Instead it just opened and I saw him working at his desk. I walked in and sat at my seat. "Good afternoon Sir, how's your day been?" I asked, smiling at him and taking a bite of my apple.. He ignored me and continued what he was working on. We sat in silence for about five minutes till I spoke up again. "Professor?" I said looking at him. "L/n will you give me one moment?" he said annoyed and more of a fact then a question. "Yeah of course sorry." I said looking down and taking another bite. "And must you crunch so obnoxiously?" he added. "Wow someones in a mood" I muttered to which he glared in response. "Some annoying first years I presume? They really are awfully annoying" I said as I played with the fabric of my robes. "Yes, very much so, much like a sixth year I know." He retorted looking back up at me. I just smiled in response.

He spent the time going over the half written essay I turned in and helping me understand the material better until I could successfully finish writing it. He was still knocking off 10 points for it being late now but I'd take what I can get. Before I knew it the bell rang startling me a bit. I gathered my things and prepared to head to DADA. "Oh Professor I wanted to tell you something" I said walking back up to his desk holding my books across my chest. "Well spit it out" he said, not looking up. "I can't make the lessons after dinner" this caused him to look up and I could tell he was not happy. "You mean to tell me I take time from my day just for y-" "Wait wait let me explain first please!" he gave me a look for interrupting him but waited for me to continue. "So you know Professor Lockhart?" I asked looking into his eyes, I could see the shift in them when I mentioned that awful man's name. "I'm afraid I do, I also know he's a fool, but what about him?" "Well in class yesterday he made me be partners with him and be an example for the class for the spell Petrificus Totalus and he just left me on the floor for almost the whole class," I could see Snape's eyes turn from annoyance to some other emotion I hadn't figured out just yet, and his face dropped a little, almost as if he was concerned? He was probably just tired though, I told myself. "And when he finally stepped away from me, Harry was able to undo it, and so towards the end of class..." I paused for a moment scared he might agree with Lockharts punishment. "Yes?" he drawed out looking at me with a look that was definitely concern this time. "I cast the same spell on him and then eventually once everyone left I undid it and then he gave me detention and so that's why I can't make it to our lessons!" I spat out in one breath. His expression seemed to lighten a bit, relief washing over him and call me crazy, but it looked as if the corners of his mouth raised a little. Was he..about to smile? Just then he slowly pinched the bridge of his nose. "Merlin Y/n" he said and it almost sounded like he wanted to laugh. Wait did he just call me Y/n. I think that's the first time he's done that. "Anyways I wanted to say sorry." I said trying to hide my own smile after reliving the events from yesterday. "Dont worry about it, and inform Lockhart that you will not be serving your detention with him, instead you will serve detention with me. And we will use the time to work" he said getting up and preparing his class for the students that would soon flood in. "You're not angry with me?" I asked turning to look at him writing stuff on the board. "No Ms. L/n I am not, I actually completely understand, that idiot did that to himself, you just needed the practice, that's all, now get out and go to class." he said back in his normal stern voice. I nodded "Thank you Sir." and left his room.

I exited his room and a small smile appeared on my face, he was so..nice for doing this for me, he didn't have to, but he did. Maybe Dumbledore was right after all, he can be reasonable, and sweet almost. He saved me from an awful afternoon with Lockhart and this kind gesture would not go unrewarded. I felt heat rise to my cheeks and I just shook it off as I entered the DADA classroom. I walked up to Lockharts desk and he looked up at me smiling as if yesterday never happened. "Ah Y/n i'm excited to see you in detention later, I hope you have not forgotten" he let out with a smug look on his face. "Actually, Professor Snape ordered me to serve detention with him instead." I said smiling. His smile dropped quickly, "What?! No You are to serve it with me!" he said, raising his voice a bit causing a few students to look his way. "Sorry, you'll have to take it up with Professor Snape" I said, now I had the smug look as I shrugged my shoulders and walked to my seat. The rest of class Lockhart gave me disappointed looks any chance he could get.

Potions had ended and I was in the library studying with Draco during our free period for a test Snape had assigned for tomorrow, and I was determined to pass this one. Well I was studying. He was just being distracting, but we agreed to do this everyday and then just walk to Dinner together after. "Y/n I wanted to ask you a question" he said looking at me. "Shoot" I said as I continued studying. "Well I was wonderi-" he was cut off by Hermione coming up and tapping me on the shoulder "Y/n can you come with me?" she said. "Beat it Granger y/n and I were talking!" Draco spat at her. "Dont worry Draco you can ask whatever it was at dinner ok? I'll see you later." I said excusing myself and following Hermione out of the library. "Whats up?" I asked as we walked to the great hall since dinner was gonna start soon anyway. "Well two things actually, one is it true that you cast a spell on Lockhart and then got detention?" she asked shocked. "Wow news travels fast, um yeah its true, and then snape took over the detention so I actually have to go to his room, which worked out cause of our lessons" "You are crazy its like youre trying to be thrown out of Hogwarts!" she said, shoving my arm gently. "Well i'm not and he deserved it! He did it to me first and wouldn't undo it so I didnt back, for practice" I said smiling "anyways what's the second thing?" she grew quiet and began blushing a bit. "Hermioneeee tell me!" I said poking her. "Ok well, um, Ron asked me to the dance!" she said with a grin. "OH MY GOSH that's so EXCITING!" I practically yelled "I know and I said yes!" "Well I would hope so!" I said, hugging her. "Wait isn't the dance not for like another two months." I asked. "Um y/n where's your head gone! It's already November 30th! The dance is in 25 days" she exclaimed. "Oh crap. I still haven't given Dumbledore an answer. I don't know where the time went!" I said stressing out a bit. "Wait, give him an answer about what?" she asked, confused. "Oh yeah there's something you should know, I never mention it because it's not really relevant, but he asked me to sing at the yule ball..." I said almost in a whisper. "You can sing?" "Yeah I used to take lessons and everything, but I haven't done it infront of people in 2 years, but I know he'll be upset if I decline.." "Well you don't want to disappoint the Headmaster not to mention your godfather." she responded. "Yeah I guess you're right, I guess I'm gonna be singing at the yule ball.