chapter 12: secrets

"Y/n!" I felt someone poke me. "Y/N!" I then felt the covers being pulled off of me and I opened my eyes abruptly "Huh what?" I looked over to see Hermione standing there, arms crossed. "Hermione? How'd you get in here?" I said yawning and stretching my arms out. "You're late! It's already 8 o'clock!" I looked over at the clock on my nightstand and sure enough it was 8. "Shit I must have overslept. Give me a sec. I'll get ready really fast." I said jumping out of bed and going into the bathroom to get ready, I grabbed my wand and used a spell to do my hair and makeup and quickly put on my uniform. I walked out of the bathroom and saw Hermione looking at the note Dumbledore had sent back to me. "Have you decided what you're gonna sing for the Yule Ball?" she said, looking up at me as I grabbed my supplies and put my want in the waist of my skirt. "No not yet, I haven't had any Ideas I guess I'll just have to wait till it comes to me." she hummed in response and stood walking out and I followed close behind.

"So are you ready for Snape's test today? I stayed in his class until 10 o'clock last night studying with him for it." I said as we walked to the great hall. "Yes of course, I have him third so I'll let you know at lunch if it's crazy hard. And wow that's a long time to endure his cruelness" she said smiling. "You know surprisingly, he was actually really nice to me last night, like it was weird for him to be that nice, I mean he was still sarcastic and snarky, but Lockhart was being weird and he basically rescued me from another detention." I said recalling the moment and playing them in my head, I smiled and blushed a little, and that's when I felt another one of those tingle things, was it like, a heart palpitation or something? "Really? Hmm that's odd" she said as we continued walking in silence. "Hermione, can I ask you something?" I said in a more hushed tone. "Yes of course." "How did you know you liked Ron? Like what did you feel when you realized you liked him?" I asked not looking at her and in the most casual tone I could muster up.

"Well, I'm not really sure, I just remember I was upset one year when we had a Triwizard tournament here, and he didn't ask me to the dance, I realized I felt things for him that were not just friend ones. And I would get butterflies when I would think about him." she said grinning and blushing. "Hmm interesting" I said thinking about what she said. "Why do you like someone?" she said nudging my arm. "No I most certainly don't, I was just curious." I said shutting down her inquiries. There's no way that's what I was feeling with Snape, I mean he's mean and cruel. I can't forget how he yelled at me my first week here, and how he treats other students. And not to mention he's a Professor, so it had to be something different. But then again what was I feeling? All I knew was that the last time I had felt this feeling was when I watched Casablanca for the first time, and Rick and Ilsa kissed. The raw, soft, but deep emotions they felt for each other would make me tear up. So why on earth was I feeling this when I'd think of him.

Just then we walked into the great hall and I sat down with her, the boys sitting across from us. "Goodmorning!" they both said in sync. "Hey sorry we are late." I said. "Oh it's fine, you should hurry and eat though classes start in 30 minutes." Harry said smiling and handing me a glass of orange juice, he knew that's what I would drink every morning. I thanked him and took a sip grabbing a piece of bacon. "Did you guys hear about the Death Eaters sighting in Hogsmeade yesterday?" Ron said a worried tone in his voice. "What? Really?" I said shocked. He nodded and Harry rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, why were they there? And how many?" I said biting into my bacon. "Don't know, I just heard one of the Slytherin kids talking about it, they said they looked like they were searching for someone, going into every store and then took off. They weren't wearing masks but some people caught glimpses of their dark marks." He added. "Hmm that's weird, what did the Ministry do? Did someone report it?" Hermione asked. "Don't know." Ron said "Wow some help you are." Hermione said playfully. I looked up at Dumbledore, but to my surprise he wasn't there, weird, I looked over to look at Snape but he was also missing. "How odd." I whispered. "What?" Harry asked, looking at the teachers table as well. "Nothing, just Dumbledore isn't here." "Hmm, maybe he is just busy." he said, returning to his food.

"You know what guys I'll catch you later I'm gonna go check on him." I said grabbing my things and getting up. "Wha- Ok bye." Hermione said. I walked out of the great hall and headed to his office. As I approached the gargoyle, I stood and waited for it to move. Usually it moves out of the way because somehow he knows it's me standing there. But to my surprise it remained still. What the heck? And of course he never told me the password. I stared at the gargoyle and kept waiting. "Peppermint" I whispered it didn't move. Hmm. "Y/n L/n" I said , smirking. Nothing. "Gum drop" still nothing. "Can you just open up please?" I said pleading to the statue. Just then it moved and I screeched running and turning the corner. I muttered the incantation for the Disillusionment Charm to blend in, and peaked around watching the steps. "Severus like I said I discussed it with the Ministry and I don't think we need to worry about it, let them deal with it." I heard Dumbledore's voice say as I saw Snape and Him walk out. Hmm I wonder if they were talking about the Death Eaters in Hogsmeade yesterday. "I'm aware the ministry is going to handle it, but that is not my biggest concern and you know it." Snape responded, giving him a knowing look. "Severus I thank you for your concern, but she will be just fine! She wasn't there so we have no reason to be worried." Dumbledore reassured him. Uhhh what? She who? Who are they talking about? And why is Snape here? And why is he concerned? Should we be concerned? So many questions ran through my head, and just then Snape snapped his head in my direction and I darted back around the corner I looked down at my reflection in a nearby window and the charm was still working, he didn't see me did he? I turned around and looked at him again, and now Dumbledore was looking in my direction.

My eyes grew wide, there's no way they know I'm here. They continued staring in my direction and Snape had a suspicious look on his face. He began walking over towards me and I walked backwards til I hit the wall behind me. He looked around the corner in the direction I stood and investigated for a moment. "What is it Severus?" Dumbledore asked. "Nothing, I thought someone was listening for a moment." He said, still looking at the spot I was at. I just stared back at him not moving scared of what he may do if he found me. I made eye contact with him and felt my body relax a bit. I admired his face as he began to turn and walk back over to Dumbledore, my heart skipping a beat again. I rolled my eyes at the act and pushed it away. I didn't have time for the confusing heart palpitations right now. "Well I must return to my room for classes that will be starting soon." Snape said walking off and down the hallway. "Goodbye." Dumbledore said smiling. I looked at my watch, shit I was gonna be late if he didnt go back to his office soon. I saw him lean and look over in my direction. "He's gone, y/n you can come out now." He said smiling at me. I froze and just looked at him, not moving to see if maybe he would think he was wrong. "Come one you don't want to be late to class." he added. I waved my wand and whispered the counter-spell and returned to my normal self and came walking around the corner, with a scared look on my face. "How did you know it was me there?" I asked worried he would be upset but he just smiled. "Like I said my dear I see and know everything" he chimed looking down at me through his half moon glasses. "I-i'm sorry I didn't mean to listen in, I was coming to see why you weren't at breakfast, and got scared when you both came out of the room." I said playing with the hem of my skirt. "Oh that's alright dear, you should run along now." He said gesturing to get going. I nodded and began to walk off, I stopped and turned to him once more, "Were you guys talking about the Death eater sighting at Hogsmeade yesterday?" "Don't you worry about that Y/n" he said smiling and heading back into his office. I turned and hurried off to my classes.