chapter 86: shenanigans

a/n  I felt bad depriving yall for so long so here is a lil chapter!  

With only a week to spare before the end of our 6th year things were hectic around the school. All the younger kids were preparing for tests or for going home. Most of the upperclassmen who weren't testing were not required to attend some of their last classes, if you were lucky you could leave a few days early. However, Hermione, Ron, Harry, and I were not that lucky having to endure the remaining time. I was also a tad freaking out about what was going to happen this summer, still not having discussed this with Severus. I was just getting out of a class I had to attend, finishing my final exam and saying farewell to my teacher. I headed down the halls smiling as I heard a familiar voice wrapping up his class. 

The bell soon chimed and all the students exited the room, shuffling out past me quick and eager. I scooted past the remaining ones and stepped into the classroom. "Hello!" I smiled and Remus returned the grin walking over to his desk and making his place leaning back on it, "Hey are you all set in your classes?" he asked as I sat on the table in front of him, "Yes for the most part, only a few short classes scattered in the week." He nodded and stared at me with suspicious eyes. I rolled mine when I read his thought, jumping off the table to pace around, "No I have no clue where I'm staying over the summer, here if I have no other options... he hasn't made clear of any at least." I sighed and Remus chuckled, "Yes well you could always ask him you know." I smiled, shaking my head, "No, because then he would feel like he has to say yes and wouldn't be honest with me." Remus just shrugged, "Well my dear I don't know what to say then. I mean bottom line, Severus is a hard man and he's had a bitter share of life-- but he's honorable, intuitive, and he knows what to prioritize. Right now, that's you, I mean the man drives himself mad." he jested and I looked over at him and sighed. "I thought you didn't know what to say?" I teased and he raised his arms, "I only tell you because I've known him for so long." I just nodded, "I know thank you, I'll see you later." he waved and I headed out of his room and back down the halls.

I decided to quickly check on Severus before meeting up with Hermione. I figured it would just make sense to apparate to his room like normal just in case he was having a class right now, so I turned around an empty corner and closed my eyes, imagining Severus' living room as I had done many times before. But to my surprise I was blocked off from it, opening my eyes and seeing I was still walking in the hall. This is strange considering I just saw him and was popping in and out of his room perfectly fine. I frowned and reluctantly carried myself over to his class on foot. As I got closer to his room I listened for any signs he had a room full of students but lightened my footsteps when I noticed the door was cracked open. I still decided to knock and wait for a response, which was a deep "Come in." from the back of his room. I entered and he looked up from leaning over one of the student tables, a ginger fifth-year student was finishing his exam, visibly stressed on a problem and had the courage to ask Severus for help. I smiled at him and he nodded, raising a finger, "One moment Ms. L/n." he said in his scary formal professor voice, only catching me off-guard because he hadn't used it around me in a while, not that he'd had the chance. I just nodded in response and walked over to one of the large bookshelves, mindlessly staring at the dusty covers, pretending to not listen in on the young boy's inquiry.

"So didn't you say in class to never add gillyweed after you have stirred in the bursted mushroom?" he puzzled and Severus nodded his head, "Yes I did say that." he assured the boy. The fiery child ran a hand through his curly hair, "But on the test it's saying that's what the student did... so is it a trick question?" he stammered out and I held in a laugh as I pretended to examine a book, Severus and his infamous exams, known to keep kids hindered after class. Which is extremely surprising considering I would think Severus would want them all gone as soon as possible. "Well now if I told you that wouldn't be fair to the other students." I glanced over as Severus raised a brow to the boy who just stared in response for a moment, trying to read Severus' blank expression before smirking and scribbling down his answer. By the look on Severus' face, the boy had understood what the Professor was insinuating. Severus walked slowly back over to his desk as the boy made a final check over his exam. I began to place the large book I had pulled from the shelf back into its place as he made his way to turn his assessment in. "In case I don't see you before I leave, um have a good summer Professor Snape." the boy said with endearment as he clutched his bag and handed the papers to the tall intimidating instructor. I watched silently from across the room as Severus had a smirk creep on his face and he nodded to the boy, "Thank you Mr. Graham." He spoke softly but stern and the boy left in a hurry.

"Wow so you actually let the kids go home after their exams this semester?" I teased as I walked towards the front of the room. I studied the way Severus busied himself with papers and such as I got closer and he just stayed silent for a moment. "Well I figured it wouldn't hurt to let them off for a few days." he said, his voice remaining deep and velvety but in a formal tone. As much as Severus knew he could only get away with shutting me out so much, he couldn't hide the way his eyes softened when they would lock with mine, even if it was for only a second it was something I never failed to notice. He glanced back down and I sighed, "Are you going to be bus-" I began to ask but he set the papers down gently and looked up at me "Look Ms. L/n I don't really have the time to chat, I'm afraid." He kept his voice professional but I furrowed my brows at him, looking over his posture and searching for any thoughts, but he was very obviously blocking me from accessing them. "Ok well, when can I arrange a meeting with you Professor?" I asked suspiciously playing along, not sure why he was being this way, but I knew better than to assume it was just a random mood swing. "I believe my schedule is full for the rest of the week but you may ask me any questions during our last class on Wednesday." I felt my stomach tighten for a moment at the behavior, confused and worried most of all. That's such a long time, it may only be a few days, but we usually see each other once a day. And now out of nowhere he was again being mysterious and odd. "Ok fine." was all I decided to say, not wanting to deal with whatever he was clearly hiding from me. "Goodbye Professor." I said as I walked out and he didn't say another word.

I hastily made my way to the front of the school heading to meet up with Hermione, Harry, and Luna. Hermione had told me she had an idea and to meet up with her after my exam. I saw the group huddled up talking as I looked around outside while I walked over. "Well Hermione, what is it you've summoned us for?" I greeted the group. Hermione looked at the others and to me with a serious face. "I was in the library studying and I overheard Draco asking the librarian for a book on the dark arts and curses. She obviously said no, I mean why would Draco think the school would even have that and why would you ask the librarian. Anyway, Draco I guess did some location spell on this paper because it's mapped out to the nearest bookstore that has the book he was looking for." She looked between us huffing after her rant and I looked over at Harry, his posture remained the same and his eyes only shifted slightly at the mention of Draco's name. "Um wow that's a lot, but what does it have to do with us?" I asked and Harry nodded as Hermione rolled her eyes, "Well what if the rumors are true and his family is working with the dark lord. And why would he be getting this book if he didn't have something up his sleeve?" A tense silence fell over and I just stared confused. 

"Wait, you think Luicus may be like... a death eater?" I spoke softly and Hermione just looked at Harry and they both nodded. Luna began to ask them questions but I was stuck on the thought of Luicus being what they said, and with all the warnings Severus gave that I assumed were just his immature comments made it more concerning. "Well Y/n? Are you going to come with us?" Harry asked and I looked over at him then back down the hall, "I don't know Severus might.." Hermione scoffed, "Might what? Get called off to a secret mission, or drowned with work? He is always getting mad. He doesn't control you." I thought about what she was saying and nodded. She was right and very convincing and for now I'll just worry about him later. Plus I wanted to see if what Hermione thinks is happening is true. "Ugh fine." She smirked and I sarcastically cringed as I grabbed their arms and we apparated to the store on the map.