chapter 36: the aftermath

"Y/n thank Merlin you are ok." Dumbledore said as we bumped into him on the way to his office. "So you heard?" I asked looking up at him. "Yes I'm afraid so, come lets go talk." he said walking back towards his office. We entered his office and Luna and I sat down across from his desk, Remus standing behind us with his hands in his pockets. "First of all, are either of you injured?" He asked looking at us. We shook our heads and he raised an eyebrow at me. "Y/n what's that on your neck?" he asked curiously. I looked down and looked back at him, there was no use in lying; he'd already seen it. I took Luna's scarf off and handed it to her. "Merlin what is that?" Remus said walking over as well as Dumbledore, I tilted my head so they could get a better look. "I'm not sure. There's more though." I said looking at them, they furrowed their brows and I took my coat off. The veins stretched from my neck down my shoulder and arm and they started to fade at my wrist. "I've never seen anything like this." Remus said, his fingers lightly touching my neck as he examined the veins. I shivered and had flashbacks to the night of the Yule ball, standing in the astronomy tower with Severus, his fingers brushing my neck and my cheek. "When did this start?" Dumbledore asked, holding my wrist gently as he looked at them. "Today, in Hogsmeade." I said looking over to Luna who was staring at them curiously. "Walk me through everything that happened. And make sure to leave out nothing." he said leaning against the front of his desk. Luna and I began explaining the story from the beginning, and told them about the Death Eaters specifically being after me. "You don't think they will come try taking me again do you? Am I even safe here?" I asked pausing for a moment. "Yes as long as you remain inside the school grounds, I believe they will not risk coming to get you." I nodded, relaxing a bit and letting out a breath I'd been holding in. "Wait look!" Luna said pointing to my wrist. We all looked down and the veins were slowly fading away up my arm. We all watched as they slowly disappeared up my arm and shoulder and a small area stayed on my neck. "How weird." I said looking at my now normal arm. I looked up at Dumbledore and he had an interesting look on his face. I wasn't sure if it was a good or bad one, but he didn't seem to know what was happening. I looked up at Remus and he looked at me and gave me a small reassuring smile. I made eye contact with him and once again, out of my control, entered his mind. I saw a few random memories of him as a boy and then of him and his friends, then another popped up. My eyes went wide when I saw it. It was a young Remus maybe four or five, and he was being attacked by a werewolf. I tried exiting his mind but flipped through more memories. I then saw him transitioning into one himself and quickly shut my eyes and turned away from him. I squeezed them shut tight, finally being able to pull out of his mind. I opened them breathing heavily and looked over to Remus. He had a pale look on his face and he was staring at me with a scared look in his eyes. I felt so guilty for violating him like that. He eyed Dumbledore and then looked back to me. "Ms. Lovegood, why don't you head back to your dormitory, thank you for your help." Dumbledore said, dismissing her. I said goodbye and she exited his office. I quickly looked over to Remus. "I'm so sorry I didn't mean I swear!" I said looking up into his blue eyes. He swallowed and shifted his weight between his feet. "What did you see?" he asked in a more serious tone. I looked down, "You being attacked as a boy...and you transitioning". "Merlin." he whispered, running a hand over his face. "I'm not gonna tell anyone I swear!" He looked over to Dumbledore and I turned to face him as well. "Y/n what do you mean you didn't mean to?" he asked, confused in his tone. "I-I didn't, I just looked at him and all of the sudden I was in his head." I said not looking at Remus. "It happened in Hogsmeade as well with Luna, but she didn't know I was in her mind." Dumbledore thought for a moment, "You have just only learned how to use legilimency, have you not?" he inquired, "yeah i've only been practicing it for a couple weeks." I said fiddling with my fingers. "I don't understand how I was able to go into Luna's head undetected, I wasn't that good yet." Remus stepped forward, "Or how you were able to break through my barrier with such ease." he said looking down at me, I flashed him a sympathetic look and Dumbledore just stood in thought. I looked down at my watch and saw it was nearing dinner time. I finished telling the rest of the story and waited for Dumbledore to say something. "Albus why were the Death eaters trying to take me?" I said standing up and looking at him seriously. He looked me in the eyes and gave me a small smile, "I don't know. I need to speak with the Ministry...and the Order." he said pausing for a moment. Remus looked up at him quickly, "The Order? Are you certain?" Remus asked hesitantly. "Yes. We need to meet soon." Dumbledore responded seriously. "What's the Order?" I asked looking up at the two men. "The Order of the Phoenix my dear." Albus said smiling. "What's that?" I pressed, "Not for you to worry about right now, it's almost dinner." he said reassuringly. I knew better now than to continue asking questions and just nodded my head. I got up to leave but Dumbledore stopped me. "Y/n i'm afraid we can't have your firework show tonight." he said with kind eyes. I flashed a sad smile and just nodded, leaving his office and heading to the Great Hall.

I slowly made my way to dinner, upset that on top of everything today I wasn't even going to get to have my firework show. I stopped at the dining hall's entrance and looked inside, I saw Luna sitting in our usual spot and walked over sitting with her. "So did they say anything about what might be wrong?" Luna asked as I grabbed a glass of water. "No they don't know what it is, or why they wanted to take me." I said, sighing. "It's just so odd, I was doing some reading to try and find out about the black spot on your neck." she said motioning to it. I looked around and covered it with my hair. "And what did you find?" I asked looking over at the book in her hands. "Well nothing so far unless you think you were bit by a poisonous spider?" she said, shrugging. "Well I don't have any spider bites so I dont think thats the case." I smiled reassuringly as she nodded her head and closed her book. We finished dinner and I didn't see any sign of Severus. Oh. Severus. I wonder if he knows what happened, and if he would want to listen to me at all. I got up excusing myself and walked down the hall to the dungeons to go check on him. I remembered when I heard his and Dumbledore's conversation. He had said something about the death eaters appearance in hogsmeade that day. Dumbledore also dismissed my question when I asked if he was talking about me that day. The two incidents have to be related. I mean Severus was worried I was gonna see one of them right? Or was he just worried I was gonna be taken. But if that was the case then that would mean they have been after me since I arrived. I continued trying to piece things together as I walked down the dungeon halls to his classroom.