chapter 42: preparations

It had been a hectic couple more days, students were due to arrive in two days so all the teachers were active and planning lessons. Most students stayed in their dormitories to stay out of the staff's way, me included. But mainly it helped to avoid Severus, which I knew I couldn't do much longer, he's still my professor. I hadn't been going to the dining hall for meals, instead Luna would get food and eat in one of our common rooms. I told her it was because I didn't wanna see a boy that I liked in the grand hall. She happily obliged and went along with it. I looked out my window and watched the snow falling, it had been three days since all the chaos with Snape and Remus happened. I still had an uneasy feeling about that spell book Severus wouldn't let me see. I saw hesitation in his eyes but I know he will do the right thing. At least I hope so.

"Knock, Knock" I heard a soft voice and it snapped me from my haze, I walked over to the common room door and let in Luna, taking a tray from her hands and walking over to the sofa. "So what have we got today?" I said as we sat across from each other with the tray in between us. "I grabbed us each a roll and carrot sticks, along with some turkey sandwiches." She said smiling and handing me a napkin. "Amazing you never fail to get the best combos." I said smiling back, she pulled out a thermos and I summoned two cups. "It's so cool you can do that, I've been practicing but so far I can only summon a paper clip." She gawked as she poured the pumpkin juice in our cups. "Well you will get it in no time, you have to start somewhere." I responded, taking a sip and a bite from a carrot. "Well what about you? Where did you start?" she questioned with a small smile. "Oh well, um I learned it from Professor Snape in tutoring." That was a lie but I wasn't gonna tell her it came out of nowhere and that I can also read her thoughts. She nodded and we ate our lunch, gossiping and discussing books for the next couple of hours.

"Ok I will see you later for dinner, my common room right?" Luna asked as I cleaned everything up and let her out. "Yup perfect i'll see you there!" I said waving as she walked off down the hall. I closed the door and looked at the tray on the couch. I sent it back to the kitchen with a wave of my hand and walked into my dormitory. I plopped down on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. Letting out a puff of air I sighed and looked at my clock, it was three o'clock and I figured I had time for a little nap. I closed my eyes and got comfy just then I heard a rattle on my window and I shot up and looked over at it. I got up and walked over thinking maybe a bird hit it or something but to my surprise I saw a small note rolled up and tied with a ribbon resting on the outside of the windowsill. I paused for a moment and my breath hitched. I hesitantly opened the window and the notes fell once again. I looked out and down at it on the snowy ground. I reached my hand out and summoned it up in my palm. I sat back on my bed and took off the ribbon and unrolled the note. Thankfully it wasn't blank or some kind of map. Instead it was a riddle. Great. Whoever was playing these childish games was in for it. I rolled my eyes and sighed as I read it over. I was horrible at any kind of word problems and riddles. But you know who isn't, Luna. I thought for a moment and put my shoes on along with my cloak. I grabbed my wand and the note and headed out to her dormitory.

I walked briskly down the halls staying out of people's way and headed to her common room. I approached the door and knocked on it waiting patiently. No one answered so I knocked again. Finally I heard a noise and a random ravenclaw girl was heading out and let me in. I walked in and looked around, spotting Luna in a chair reading a book. "Hey Luna whats up?" I said walking over and sitting next to her. "Not much just reading this book about wandless magic." I nodded and smiled, "Nice, do you think you could help me with something?" I said unfolding the note and looking down at it. "Sure whats up?" She said closing her book and setting it in her lap. "I have this riddle that my friend wrote for me and I just can't figure it out." I said laughing along. "Oh is that all?" she said, a little confused. "Mhm" I said, handing her the note. "Y/n this paper is blank." she said flipping it around. "What? No." I said grabbing it and looking at it. I saw the riddle clearly printed on the paper. "Luna it's right here." I said pointing to it. "I don't see anything." I looked at her confused and looked back at the note. I guess the person didn't want me sharing this with anyone, or anyone finding it. "Oh you know what my friend actually uses a spell so others can't see, only me." I said making it up as I went along. She nodded, "Oh ok well what does it say?" I looked down at it. "Violent legs lay upon me, rings lie within me, a territorial creature, whose secrets lie beneath." I said reading it out and dropping my shoulders as I thought. Luna stared off thinking for a moment. "A territorial creature, hmm like a wolf?" I said looking up at her walking over to the window. She stayed silent and I sat awkwardly trying to think of other solutions. I reread it and studied the typed words. I looked harder at them and held the paper close. "The Whomping Willow." Luna spoke from the window and pointed out. I looked up "what is it eating something?" I asked getting up and looking out. "No that's the riddle. I'm so silly I can't believe it didn't come to me sooner." she said smiling and walking to sit back down in her chair. I nodded and looked down at the note. It made sense, and she was definitely getting a better answer than me. "How did you come up with that?" I questioned looking down at the note. "I get the legs and the rings but the secret?" I looked at her confused. "Well there's actually rumoured to be a room beneath the tree." she said casually flipping through her book. "Wow and you wouldn't happen to know how to get down there?" I said prying some more. "No sorry I never got that far" she responded not looking up from her book. "Ok amazing thanks Luna Ill catch ya later you've been a big help." I said smiling and heading briskly out the door. I practically jogged down the hall and past any staff members. I accidentally bumped shoulders with a tall man and rolled my eyes when I saw it was Severus. I looked up at him, "My apologies Professor.'' I said in a normal tone. He just looked down at me and looked at the paper in my hand. I hid my hand within my cloak and he looked back up in my eyes. He just nodded and I walked off past him out into the courtyard.

I headed over to the vicious plant and was passing the lake when I saw Remus standing underneath the tree and looking out at the water. I stopped for a moment and then walked over to him. "Hey what are you thinking about?" I said softly to not scare him. He came back to reality and looked over at me with a small smile. "Oh nothing." he responded, tucking his hands in his pockets and sighing. "Nothing or No one?" I teased raising an eyebrow. "Is it that obvious?" his cheeks reddened a bit and he looked back at the water. "I don't get it, if Sirius is just an apparition away why don't you go to him?" I said cautiously, unaware if this would trigger something in him. He looked over at me sharply. "I promise I did not read your mind, your eyes just light up when he's mentioned." I walked closer and stood right next to him turning to face the water. "It's more complicated than that. He's got duties there and he's not technically supposed to be free. I would do anything to see him even for a little." he lowered his head and I looked down and held his hand. "You will. Even if I have to drag him here myself." he let out a small chuckle and smiled down at me. "And what about you?" he said crossing his arms. "What about me?" I said turning my attention back to the lake. "How are you handling your...feelings?" I thought for a moment trying to understand what he meant. "Well I wish I knew how to stop this." I gestured to my neck, he laughed and looked at me, "Those aren't the feelings I was referring to and I think you know that." he teased. "I dont wanna talk about that." I said dismissively. "Oh come on Y/n. This boy seemed to have done a number on you, plus I just confided in you, you now know something about me i'm certain no one else alive knows." I sighed and nodded. "Well i'm sure Albus knows." I said smiling at him. He nodded in agreement and stood patiently.

"Severus." I let out under my breath. He looked behind us and then back at me, "what? He's not here, you're fine." I shook my head and wondered if I should really tell him or not. I mean he would never tell anyone else, especially since I know his biggest secrets, but what if he judges me for it, I know he's not the type , but me in love with the dungeon bat certainly doesn't look good. "Its..Severus." I said looking up at him. He looked at me confused for a moment then I could see the realization hit and his eyes flashed with surprise. "Oh." he let out as he just stared down at me. "Yup." we stood in silence for a moment. "So he's the one you are fond of." he nodded awkwardly. "I'm afraid i'm past that." I let out a breath and looked at him for any sign of disgust or disapproval. "I'm not that shocked to be honest, it makes sense when I think about it." I looked at him confused and concerned for a moment. "What do you mean?" he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders. I rolled my eyes and looked back at the water. I remembered what I'd originally come here for and thought about what Remus had said a couple days ago. "Remus is there really a room beneath the whomping willow?" he nodded as he picked up a rock and threw it in the water. "How do you get in without getting impaled?" he looked at me suspiciously, "why?" he questioned as he threw another rock. "Oh i'm just curious it seems almost impossible." he hummed a response and thought for a moment, "It's probably best I dont tell you all the secrets I know." he said a tad more serious as he picked up another rock. He went to throw it but I raised my hand and stopped it mid air before it could splash into the water. He looked over at me and I brought the rock to my hand. "Ok what's going on, what are you up to?" he said in a more teacher tone than friend. I smiled and stepped closer. "Up for an adventure?"