chapter 34: firework shopping

"So Dumbledore said in order to have the firework show, I need to go into town and get some for him, so do you want to come with?" I asked Luna, taking a sip of my pumpkin juice. "Of course, that sounds fun." She smiled nodding as we finished up our breakfast. We got up and headed for the door, I glanced over at Remus who was talking with Trelawney and then shifted my gaze to Severus, he was scowling down at Remus and then got up to exit as well. I lightly pushed Luna forward faster out of the dining halls doors. I could hear him walking some distance behind us and wanted to avoid him. "Hey, wh-what's going on?" she said giggling, "Sorry I didn't want to get in Professor Snape's way." I mumbled as we stepped aside and the man walked briskly passed us and down the hall. "I have to get a few things from my room, do you want to meet back up in fifteen and then we can head to Hogsmeade?" she asked as I watched the tall professor stride down the hall. "Yeah sounds good see you in a bit." I said as we parted ways and I headed to the dungeons.

I got to my dormitory and grabbed my bag and galleons and my coat. I looked to see if I needed anything else and then headed back out. I left the common room and thought for a moment, I looked down the hall then at my watch. I had ten more minutes. I looked back down the hall and headed down towards the professors classroom. I approached his door and noticed it was open a bit. How odd he never leaves his door open, except during passing periods. I hesitantly walked over and peaked in. I didn't see anyone so I peaked further. "Can I help you with something Ms. L/n?" I jumped at the sudden deep voice that drawled from behind me, and clutched my chest sighing. I turned and looked up at him and smiled regaining my composure. "Yes actually," I didn't know what to say, I didn't really know why I came to see him. " I wanted to know why you tried to get into my head at breakfast." I said with confidence, folding my arms awaiting an answer. He peered down at me with his dark eyes and eyed me up and down. He took a moment before speaking and rolled his eyes "I have no clue what you're going on about." he quipped and moved me aside walking into his room and shutting the door. I stood for a moment annoyed and rolled my eyes scoffing as I walked off down the hall to meet Luna.

It didn't take us long to get to get to Hogsmeade and we decided to get some drinks at the Three Broomsticks first. We sat down in a booth across from one another and waited for the waiter to take our order. "So where do you even buy fireworks?" Luna asked as the waiter came over and took our order. "Ron told me his brothers would usually find some at Zonko's Joke shop, so i'm hoping i'll find some there." I said looking through my bag to count my galleons. Dumbledore had given me some to spend and I wanted to make sure I stayed within budget. "Hey isn't that the new DADA teacher?" Luna said pointing behind me. I turned and looked in the direction of the bar and noticed Remus had just walked in and sat down. "Yeah it is, I actually talked with him this morning. He is super nice and we had a lot in common." I said watching as the man ordered a drink and fiddled with his fingers. He looked up and we made eye contact, he smiled and I smiled back and waved, I felt small butterflies and looked away back to Luna quickly. I hadn't felt those in awhile, I mean I always felt them with Severus, but I had eventually gotten used to the feeling he gave me, and recently with how he'd been acting they hadn't been as strong. "Is everything ok? You look a little red." Luna said looking me over. "Mhm, I'm fine , just a little hot." I said smiling and peaking back up at the new professor, he was taking a drink and I, thankfully, didn't feel anything. I sighed and looked back down at my own drink, taking a big gulp. "Y/n I wanted to ask you something." Luna said in a more hushed tone, leaning forward a bit, I leaned in as well and smiled, "Whats up?" She looked down for a moment and avoided eye contact. "You're friends with Ginny right?" I smiled and nodded, "And she's with Harry right?" she asked quietly, still not looking at me. I smiled when I relaxed where this was going. "Yeah, but something tells me they're not gonna be together much longer." I said winking, teasing her and causing her to blush a bit. "What makes you say that?" she asked looking up at me with big eyes. "Oh ya know just a feeling I get." She nodded and looked off thinking for a moment. "Why?" I inquired, playfully poking her arm. "No reason, just curious." I eyed her suspiciously and she just giggled and shook her head. "Ginny is a very nice girl." I said grinning. "Yeah I know." she blushed a bit more and we both laughed. "So I take it you have a little crush on the girl perhaps?" I whispered not wanting to expose her if she didn't want anyone knowing. "Maybe. I don't know if she thinks of me like that though." she fiddled with her nails and then took a sip of her drink. "I mean you never know, I can definitely see it being a possibility." she nodded and smiled up at me. "What about you?" she asked, taking me off guard. "What about me?" I laughed nervously. "Do you like anyone?" I paused for a moment thinking about her question. She was a good friend, and I knew she wouldn't judge me, but something just told me this wasn't something I should just spread around. I felt a ting in my chest thinking about Severus. I zoned out thinking about his eyes and his voice. His lips, the way they felt so soft on mine. The scent of him filling my nose when he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me in tighter. The way his hands stroked my back and the way he cupped my cheek. He really did seem like he cared about me that night. But the realization of it all being a mistake in his eyes hit and I felt a sadness wash over me. I remembered how I'd told him I loved him in a fit of rage. Something I'd never felt for anyone like that before, and something I felt ashamed for admitting to him, especially given the state of our relationship now. "Y/n? Are you ok?" I was brought back from my thoughts with Luna staring confused at me. I shook my head, ridding it of the thoughts and smiled. "Y-yeah i'm good I was just thinking, no I don't think I like anyone." she hummed a response and we finished up in there, standing and getting ready to leave. "I'll meet you outside." I said as I put my coat on and watched as she smiled and walked out. I walked over to the kind man, sat at the bar and leaned against it next to him. "Hey what brought you to Hogsmeade today?" I asked the man smiling at him and looking into his charming blue eyes. "Oh just looking around, and yourself?" he questioned as he turned and looked at me. "I had to get the fireworks for tonight." I said motioning to the door. "Oh well good luck, I'm sure we will run into each other here again." he smiled, I nodded and brushed some hair from my face. "Yeah probably, anyway a friend is waiting for me, I'll catch you later." I said , waving and walking away, he waved back and I exited the pub.

Luna and I walked into the joke shop and made our way through it smiling at all the gag gifts and funny trinkets. We played with a couple as we looked around, I saved myself the trouble and decided to just ask for help. Luna was looking at some sunglasses and I walked up to the register, "I was wondering where your fireworks are?" I asked, smiling. I saw something out of the corner of my eye through the store's window and turned to look. I didn't see anything so I ignored it figuring it was just some people. "Right over there." the man said pointing to a section towards the back. I thanked him and walked over to look at the selection. There wasn't a whole lot left since it was last minute but I got what I could find. I grabbed some basic standard ones and some that were multicolor and a couple packs of sparklers too. I made my way back up to the front of the store "Did you find any?" Luna asked as she put down the glasses she was trying on. "Yeah I think this should do." I said putting them up on the counter as the man began ringing me up. "Do you like those glasses?" I asked motioning to the ones on the rack. "Yeah but I don't think I need another pair." she said smiling. I grabbed them and looked at them, I liked the glasses she was often seen wearing, even if some kids thought they were odd. These were gorgeous though. They were a dark blue that looked as if they had the whole galaxy in their frame and had gold wings coming off the sides. I placed them on the counter and the cashier added them up and put everything in a bag for me. "Oh you don't have to do that for me." she said nervously. "No worries, it's on Dumbledore anyway." I said laughing. I paid and the man handed me my bag. As I reached in to pull them out I saw something in my peripheral again. It was like a dark figure was walking by the store, but every time I looked up I had lost them. I wanted to believe it was Severus, but I knew he dreaded Hogsmeade. "What is it?" Luna asked, looking in the same direction as me. "Nothing I thought I saw something." I said reaching in the bag and handing her her new glasses. She smiled big, taking them and thanked me again, putting them on. "How do they look?" she said smiling. "So cool they suit you well." She smiled and I returned the gesture as we made our way out of the store.