chapter 89: growing weary

I walked to the halfway point between the dungeons and the Gryffindor common room. McGonagall said they would find me, so I figured it best to keep my distance but stay easy to find. After a few minutes of kicking my feet and tracing the ridges of the stone walls, I heard footsteps and turned to see Hermione. "There you are! Are you okay? I'm guessing it stopped since Harry's has?" she exclaimed, and I nodded, "Yes, is he okay?" I asked and she nodded as well. "I think it's okay to come back now." I smiled and followed her back to the room and found McGonagall had left for the time being and Ron and Harry were going over the parchment. "Professor McGonagall left to speak with Albus." Hermione informed me as we sat next to the boys. "That was one of the worst things I have ever had to deal with regarding Voldemort, and that is saying a lot given our history." Harry nodded in agreement, and I smiled, grabbing the parchment from his hand gently and reading it over. "Lily and James? Your parents?" I asked, looking up for clarification and Harry nodded. I saw the names of mine as well on the paper and shook my head before putting it on the table. "I knew the words were familiar, but now that I see them written out it's much clearer what he was fucking screeching at us. I just don't get why? I mean he knows I barely give a shit for my father now, and I doubt he would really try to get my mother, so why mention them?" We all remained silent for a moment as we sat pondering the meaning of another one of Voldemorts games. I was starting to get tired of this. It had been manageable, at least when it all started, but as days crept by my chest got heavy. I couldn't tell what the effect was, but it felt more real and more frightening than the feeling I had in the woods, or when I was captured, and even when I had my 'dream'.

"Voldemort killed my parents but he couldn't kill me, Y/n his goal for you was never to kill you, it's always been to get you on his side, so he can kill me and then begin to, take over." Harry spoke softly, and I looked up at him. He was making perfect sense, and that's what worried me. "He knows Harry will never join him, but he has hope for you." Ron said and Hermione flashed him a glare. I looked around at them observing each of their reactions. "But, but you guys don't actually think ill do it right? I mean you have more faith in me than that... right?!" I questioned and they stayed silent for a second. My jaw dropped, but Hermione raised her hand, "Look Y/n we trust you, okay? But we don't know what he's capable of or what lengths he may go to get you on his side." I looked at her with a face that was attempting to hide the hurt one that laid beneath the surface. "So you do think he could possibly manipulate me into doing it? What could he possibly say or do that would make me take his side?! The side my father is also on and the side that led to many tragedies, including the murder of my sister, Hermione!"

I stood up and Harry reached for my hand, "Y/n please, we aren't saying you aren't strong enough, we just know he is stronger. I mean, what if he uses a spell? Or what if the curse he has on you does connect you to him like I'm connected, what if the tether between you and him is stronger, and he can, control you?" he stuttered out and I looked at him for a moment and rolled my eyes, then looked out the window. "I'm sorry Y/n I didn't mean to insinuate you would join him, but the unknown is too large to rule out the possibility of his control over you just being that strong." My heart froze for a minute because it was Hermione speaking. And Merlin knew she was always right. "So why was he screaming at us? I mean, why now and why out of nowhere just for nothing to follow?" her eyes sunk once more, and she shook her head, "I-I don't know." Ron hummed and we could see a light bulb go off in his brain, "Maybe he's close? Or is warning you he is close.." I groaned and slouched down back into the couch and sighed. "So what now? We just sit here and wait for him to come again? I mean, we should be working with Albus, and Draco, and... Severus." I zoned out for a minute when I mentioned his name, recalling once again what Draco had said. "I doubt they know more than us." Ron added and we all nodded.

"Speaking of, any news from either of them?" Hermione asked and I shook my head. "No Draco is practically MIA, Severus is... busy with end-of-the-year things, and Albus has only made me more confused. But I think he was hinting to me something may happen soon." This piqued her interest and she tilted her head. "Wait, what do you mean?" I shrugged. "Before I came down, Albus was talking to me about the school year and then said all this eerie shit about making him proud and 'hope'. It's like he's retiring or something. I mean I doubt it but that's all I could think of." I finished, fiddling with my cuticles as Hermione just hummed. Her head was racing but with what I didn't know, I thought to ask when her eyebrows sunk and her eyes darkened but for some reason I didn't. It ended up proving to be a safe choice, because Hermione was putting more and more pieces together with every ounce of information we would get. And when she heard what I just said a weight landed on her chest and she felt she could sink through the floor. She hid it, and didn't say a word, but she knew Albus saying those things only meant one thing realistically. She didn't dare say anything to me because she knew it wasn't her place, nor was she one hundred percent confident this was the answer. Or at least that was what she was convincing herself. "You okay Mione?" Ron asked and she snapped up, "what? Yeah, sorry I was just trying to figure out what everything means you know..." I raised a brow at her tone. "Do you know something?" Harry questioned, and she shook her head quickly, rubbing her hand on her pants, "No, no I'm just extremely frustrated I don't know anything." she quipped before getting up quickly and leaving to her dormitory without another word. We all watched as she left and then looked back to one another. "I'm gonna go check on her." Ron said, and Harry and I smiled as he left as well.

We sat in silence for a while before I inquired some more, "Harry, do you really think he could be tied to me like he is to you, but somehow worse?" He could obviously sense the worry in my voice, but knew better than to lie. "I think it's a possibility, but I also think if anyone could truly defeat him, it would be you." I rolled my eyes and smiled at his comment, trying to hide the bashfulness that took over, trying my best to not soak up the statement. "Thank you." I smiled and he nodded. "I'm assuming you're staying with Ron or Remus and Sirius over the summer?" He smiled, "yeah, I'm probably going to stay with Remus to just be on the safe side, what about you? Made up your mind yet on plans?" I shook my head and returned to my very interesting cuticles once more. "No, but actually I did get invited to stay with someone over the summer..." I began and Harry smiled, "That's great, Snape finally asked!" I tilted my head, "Wellll, it wasn't Severus, It was actually Mr. Malfoy." His smile faded, "Oh." he sighed. "Yeah..." I let out as well, "but I obviously won't do it, it was just a fascinating request. Who knows, I may end up here after all." I hated the idea of staying here practically alone all summer, but my options were small, and all depended on the slow moves of Voldemorts game. "You are always welcome at Ron's too." He chimed in, and I nodded. I knew I was, but it wouldn't feel like anything other than making them a target. "Anyway, I should probably head back, it's getting late and I need to study for some final exams. I happen to have Potions tomorrow." He gave me a sympathetic smile and I pulled him up into a hug. He was a little taken aback since spur-of-the-moment hugs weren't really my forte, but he welcomed it. "I'm sorry for any trouble being my friend may cause Harry, and I know this may sound selfish, but I'm really glad I have someone that 'gets it' ya know?" He smiled as we pulled away, "Not selfish at all, I do get it, believe me and ditto." I laughed and squeezed his hand before saying my goodbyes once more and leaving back to my room.