chapter 72: your power

I woke up to the feeling of Severus getting up for work. He apparated me to the school after he got ready, tucking me into the bed in his private quarters, insisting I rest one more day before returning to school. It was also early and he wasn't going to leave me alone at his house and figured I better come back at some time. I slept a few more hours waking up to the sound of Severus teaching in his room, yelling at some first years I'm sure. Looking at the clock I guessed it was second period. I laughed to myself before sitting up slowly, yawning and pushing back my hair. I slowly stood hearing my joints pop as I moved towards my suitcases, shrinking them I put on my robes, tucking the small cases in my pockets and putting on my slippers. I sighed and tried apparating back to my dorm, I opened my eyes but was still in Snapes bedroom.  I frowned, exhausted and not having much energy at the moment. I realized something though, Severus probably knows all that. 

"I swear if he trapped me in here-" I muttered before grabbing my wand. I closed my eyes and focused, mustering up as much energy as I could although I felt incredibly drained. I muttered a spell to let me get past any spells Severus might have used, he probably shouldnt have taught me that one but, he was worried. Feeling the familiar waves of nausea, I popped back into my bedroom. There was no one there because of classes, so I used the time to put away my things, just waving my wand around to put things away. I got into the shower, watching as red water washed down the drain from the dried blood on my back and waist. Zoning out as I scrubbed over the scars on my body. They were still healing, red and sore. I didnt dwell on it too much. Hurrying with the rest of my routine. I finished up, getting dressed and doing some light makeup. I felt tired, but I'd already missed a day of school, and I had enough energy to go to at least half of my classes. I sighed as I checked the time, lunch was just about to end so I decided to just wait and catch Draco on his way to potions. Realizing I wasn't sure how Harry was, or if Draco even knew of what happened over vacation.

Making my way down the halls, I saw the tall blonde boy walking down through the dungeons. I quickly walked over to him tapping on his shoulder with a smile, "Hey!" I said excitedly, he turned to face me and had a tired look on his face, dark circles beneath his eyes, a bruise surely spread across his cheek, with pale skin and messy hair, "What's wrong? What happened to your face?" I asked quickly shifting to a concerned look. "Did your dad do that? Is it about Harry? I know that was scary but he's ok-" he just shook his head, "It's not Harry okay? I don't want to talk about it." he wouldn't even look me in the eyes and just kept walking to class. I just nodded as I followed him there, walking in with him. I figured Severus had not realized I wasn't in his room since he was busy catching up on work and assumed I would be sleeping all day. I followed Draco in, him walking fast ahead. I noticed Severus was facing away from us, writing something on the chalkboard. I noticed a strange thing when I walked in, as soon as I stepped in the room, he stopped and turned. He made eye contact with me, giving me a glance over and then looking away and back to what he was writing. It was subtle, but it was like he sensed I'd come in and tried his best to ignore my presence. I went and sat with Draco. Watching him look down like a zombie, still and tired. Not even present.

I heard the sound of the bell and looked up at the front, Severus was setting down the chalk and watching the last few scrambling students take their seats. He looked over at me and I could tell by the look he gave me. He wasn't happy I was up walking around already. I noticed he glanced over at Draco, and the boy was looking back at him, slowly looking away again and Severus just had a look of concern and sympathy. I furrowed my brows at the exchange and watched as Severus cleared his throat and waved his hand, shutting the door.

"I apologize for my absence yesterday," he paused, glancing at me for a moment before continuing "read these chapters and answer these questions." was all Snape said, pointing to the board, "Turn it in at the end of class." he added in his deep velvety voice, walking over to his desk and sitting down scribbling away. Draco didn't speak all class, I finished before him unlike normal, he was so distracted. I looked at Severus and he was still hunched over writing. I pushed my paper over to Draco so he could see my answers. He looked over and relaxed his shoulders, copying what I had written. Class was quiet and bare. No one chatted in here out of fear of our Professor. The bell rang soon and all the kids flooded out. Draco took off, not even stopping to wait for me. I got up and walked out without a glance in Severus' direction, figuring I'd talk to him tonight.