chapter 88: and alas confusion

I made my way up the many stone steps, keeping an ear out for any students that may already be occupying the area. But to my surprise I caught a glimpse of long silver hair and a soft smile appeared on my face, I made my way over to the man feeling the cool breeze pass through the tower as I walked quietly on the stone floors. "What brings you up here Albus?" I spoke softly, not wanting to frighten the old man, although I doubt you could really sneak up on him. He turned around slightly to smile and I came to stand next to him, looking out of the tower over the school, with the sun just barely beginning to set. "Just enjoying the view." he said simply and I nodded, my brows furrowing slightly and the hairs on my neck standing at the solemn tone in his words. "I would ask how your last classes are going, but I have seen you are doing exceptionally well per usual." He commented and I looked at him slightly and felt my heart warm at the endearing compliment. "Thank you, I am so grateful you allowed me to come here, the last thing I would want is to disappoint you and fail all my classes." I joked, hoping to take some of the glory off of me, it was the truth after all. I never would take advantage of him allowing me to be here, so graciously as well with all the trouble i've already caused.

"Well you could never disappoint me... your sister and you were the only chance I was ever given, the only hope that things might be different in the future. And even though she may be gone I want you to know, I never lost that hope for you. And you've got a great set of friends by your side, don't forget that." he said kindly, now locking eyes with me, "But I don't even-" I began, unsure of what I could even say to that, "Why are things going to be changing? What is going to happen?" I asked calmly and he looked back out of the tower and sighed. "I just want you to remember that you are a very strong girl, and you can do magnificent things you'll come to see. You are an even more talented witch, one of the best I've known considering your age." I flicked my eyes over his expression as he kept his gaze on the sun, avoiding my question and seemingly leaving me with more. I noticed his relaxed eyes, the wise shimmer in them reflecting from the sun, and a small quaint smile gracing his face. I didn't know what I could ask at this point so I just smiled and looked forward as well.

My thoughts were now racing, I thought about what Draco said as well as what Albus had just told me and I grew frustrated. I felt there was a huge piece of information missing that would make everything make sense but I couldn't figure it out. And it was even worse that I knew everyone else around me probably knew exactly what and were just hiding it from me. "Just relax, and enjoy your last days of school. Alright dear?" Albus spoke after a moment, surely sensing my internal panic. I nodded and sighed, "I will try my best." was all I could convince myself to say, not knowing why I wouldn't be able to see Severus on top of everything else did not help. And surely these last few days would otherwise be time for us to talk about this summer, but now I just have to let him ignore me just like old times.

"And do keep in mind that you're still very young dear, and it's only natural you make mistakes, even ones that can impact your future... and we are all guilty of that. But," he paused and looked over at me, to which I met his kind but serious gaze with wandering and curious eyes. "But being part of this rather extraordinary side of the world, means some of us may have to do difficult things and have done things that were not honorable, but not everyone can say they have risked their life for strangers, in a world that's been rather cruel to them." he kept his eyes on me and I opened my mouth to speak but he continued. "I don't want you to think this is your fate Y/n you have endured a lot and are very capable," he assured but I just continued to stare in confusion and fear as he slowly looked back out of the tower and continued to speak softly but assertively. "It may not seem like it," he let out a sigh, "But Severus is one of those people and know, that I trust him deeply." I snapped my gaze quickly at the mention of my dear professor and furrowed my brows.