It's about Time

I made my decision, and I wasn't going to take it back. I decided to tell Sulfus, and only Sulfus what was going on with me. As scared at I am, I do need someone's help. I can't do this on my own, I just can't.

We came to the park to be kind of alone together, without the others' eyes watching us, because this conversation was about to get very, very heavy.

"It's the first time you've called me out to talk, El. What's up?" He smiled at me, which kind of reassured me.

"I um... I talked to Reina... About what she said..." I rub the back of my neck, kind of expecting him to nag me or something, but then again... He's a devil.

Sulfus sat on the bench next to me. "Yeah? What'd she say? She didn't try to hurt you, right?"

"No, no, she didn't it was just talking, but... I didn't like the answers she gave me. I mean I really hated them, but they make sense."

He put his hand on my shoulder and I shy away from it. When I moved, he looked so sad it made my chest hurt.

"Well... I'm here for you, El. Go ahead and talk."

I take a deep breath, then started from the beginning.  I told him everything. That Raf and I weren't born angels, that I am supposedly a creature of limbo, his much I've been struggling with that. I told him about how I felt about Raf and the other angels in general and how I was already having trouble adjusting in both roles, angel and devil.

Before I can stop myself, I spill everything I had been, not so much hiding, but not exactly putting into words, to the devil who is somehow in a similar situation as me.  Before I said all of it, I thought it was a lot, but it didn't even take ten minutes for me to get everything out, and he didn't stop me even once.

"... so, I went back to her today and she said I could get more answers if I got into the hall of portraits." I look at him, studying his expression.

He looks surprised, folding his arms over his chest. "Are you sure about doing that? It's radical, even for a devil."

I sigh, "I know... I know it's bad but I really need answers, Sulfus. I just need to know what I am." I stand up and pace around in front of the bench.

"No matter how you see it El, this is definitely a trap. Besides, you're not... Well..."

I can't manage to look him in the eye for some reason, so I look anywhere but there, "An angel? Yeah... I was thinking about that. And I might have it figured out, but... More importantly, I can get the incantation, but I need to know if you'll help me with the door."

Sulfus hums, clearly thinking about it before shrugging, "Sure, why not. I love breaking rules, but you're a devil now, what angel is going to want to break that rule?"

"I'll get it done, you know me." I smile at him before wrapping my arms around his neck, giving him a hug that, for some reason, embarrassed me more that I would him. "Thank you for doing this for me, Sulfus."

Sulfus chuckles, "Anything for you, El."

With that, we go out separate ways. The next day, we didn't see much of each other. I did what I had to in order to get the incantation, I almost feel bad for using Raf to do it, but Kox was just an easy bug to get wedged in the door. At least this way the suspicion isn't on me and I got what I needed from that, now I need an angel.

I have a theory behind my transformation, but it isn't exactly a science. Honestly, I think it's stupid, but it's all I have.

Late that night, Sulfus and I met by the door to the room of Portraits and he was smiling like everything was perfectly fine.

"So, got the incantation and an angel?"

"Well... Something like that... I um... I wanted to say something before we did this." I couldn't just stand still, I'm so nervous and I'm all fidgety and my heart won't stop beating, but being with Sulfus is really comforting and he deserves to know what I really think. Well, now is a fine time to confess, isn't it?

Sulfus raises an eyebrow. "What?"

"Sulfus... You know that I really care for you, I mean.. ugh." I take several deep breaths, fanning my face and trying to resolve myself to what I need to do.

"Sulfus, I like you... I mean, I like you a lot. I love you. I've known that for a while, but I never told you." My eyes lock with his, and he clearly wasn't expecting a confession.

"Woah, where did that-"

"Lemme finish!" I cut him off, heat rising to my face. "I love that you care enough about me to respect me in either form, I love the way you look at me when you think I'm not paying attention, but most importantly, I just really, really love you. It's not because I can confide in you it's so much more than that and I can't put into words how... Happy... And how safe you make me feel."

Sulfus's lips curled into that devilish smirk that makes my spine quiver, and the hand that touched my cheek was as gentle as it always is. "Wow, I wasn't expecting that, El. What made you decide to tell me?"

I bite my lip, trying to look away from him. "I, um... We could get expelled for this and... Um.. I wanted-"

"Look at me, Elos."

I swallow my breath, or what was left if it because I forgot how to breathe when he whispered in my ear. He hardly touched my chin, but managed to make me look at him with a single finger and his golden yellow eyes just made the pounding in my chest so much worse.

"Elos, please. Don't look away from me. No interruptions. 'Kay?"

All I can do is slightly nod my head, if I try to talk, I won't be able to make words. Internally, in absolutely screaming  and hoping I don't catch on fire or something.

"Good. Now, tell me one more time."

With what little control I have, I try to speak, "I love you, Sul-"

His name was cut off by his lips meeting mine. It was sudden, and warm, and I could swear my heart was singing. Something was singing. If I'm not on fire, I must be melting.

My first real kiss with Sulfus has me so weak at the knees, and I love every second of it.