Malachi pt. 2

Kilin and I sneak through the halls together, eventually making it to the door of the portrait room. I have him look out while I head inside to look around. All of the pictures of the earthly ones somehow fit here.

"Now... How do we get them out.. teleporting one by one isn't an option.. ugh such a dismal place. At least now I can go back to Sulfus..." I mumbled outloud to myself, walking around the room until I reach a covered portrait.

The simple fact that it is covered was the first thing that caught my eye, the second is that it was sort of... Lonely looking. It wasn't really around the other portraits, kind of just there by itself, for the most part. I snatch the cover off without much of a second thought and then it clicked for me.

"Ah. The earthly one Reina loved so much, she committed a sacrilege for him... Malachi-"

"Caught you red handed!"

The human in question waltzed into the room, with Kilin flying right behind him chirping rapidly about how sorry he is that he couldn't stop Malachi from entering.

I smile and wave at them. "It's fine Kil, besides, this is way more interesting." I twirled the key around my fingers looking from the portrait to the man, trying my best to sound calm, "Wow, you really didn't age in limbo."

"What are you talking about? Nevermind that, I have to take you back to Rein-"

I began slowly clapping my hands before he even finished talking. "You've been under her control for so long. I bet it was really difficult."

Malachi flashes a confused look as he walks towards me and locks eyes with his portrait. He's taken aback, completely shocked, and I can see the doubt in his eyes. I can almost see the gears turning in his head.

"Hey, are... Are you okay?" I was going to keep up the act, but he really looked like he was in a lot of pain.

He holds a hand up, panting, "I remember... Reina stole my portrait and kept me enslaved for years, so many years... I can't even count them."

I nod, waving Kilin over so he could rest on my shoulder. "Yeah, I figured that was the case when I saw it here. Don't worry about it too much."

"I apologise for all the evils  I've done to you, the angels, and devils. All I can do is beg for forgiveness, Elos."

"Its really okay. I can see that you're being sincere, and frankly, I don't really care about all that anyway." I shrugged, walking around the room.

Malachi nods, "Thank you... Has Reina told you about your birth?"

"Mhm, said I was born in limbo due to a sacrilege or something, I don't really care about all that though, we need a way out of here."

"W-Wait, Elos! Don't you want to know the truth?" He out a hand on my shoulder, which had me freeze in my tracks.

I think about what he said, how much I struggled through my school days because of that information, and how much I gained from the little I knew of it.

"I.. I do want to, but I also don't.. at least, not now. I'm on a mission to right my wrong and hopefully... I will get answers when all is said and done."

Malachi's eyes widen, then he nodded and took his hand away with a gentle smile on his face. "That is very insightful of you, Elos. I can see why my daughter likes you so much."

My mind does a full stop, like, I forgot to think for a second I was so surprised. Unintentionally, I look him up and down, then finally say something, "You... You're Raf's father?"

Malachi nods, chuckling, "Her mom's name was Angelie. She had the most beautiful light in her eyes."

I would have loved to ask more, but Reina had woken up and was throwing a tantrum. My bad for stealing the key and not leaving right away.

Malachi and I race through the house together to find an exit, but she has this place on a limbo style lockdown, I can't even phase through the wall or teleport out, it's so unfair.

How is it that I can kill a being of limbo, but I can't break through a limbo ability? What kind of celestial logic is this!? Well, Malachi has a plan to get at least me out anyway, and it involves a potion and a hidden door.

While waiting for the potion to finish, he went on talking about Raf and her mom and I take mental notes so that I can tell Raf about it later.

Her mom sounds like an angel, but apparently, she was just taken one day by a stray cyclone, tornado...? Ah, this is why I should pay attention insead of sleeping in class.... Nah, sleeping was totally more important.

"...Elos, are you sure you don't want to hear about how you came to be?"

I snap out of my confusion and look around the cellar we're stuck in.
"Like I said, it's not that I don't want to, it's that this isn't the ideal time. Honestly, I can't wait to tell Raf what I have learned about her... I'm sure I can use this information as an apology for my horrible behavior."

"If you don't mind my asking, what happened between the two of you?"

I smile at him, chuckling a little, "It's stupid, but Raf was the first angel that really reached out to me. She gave me hope, and I clung to that, but you can only hold onto someone and out them on a pedestal for so long until that illusion is ruined, you know?"

He nodded and was about to say something when a loud thud was heard over our heads. "Let's hope this is ready."

I run to stand at his side as he took the potion and threw it at the wall. From there, a door was reveled. He and I look at each other and nod before making our way out. Unfortunately, we were met with the creatures of limbo as well as Reina waiting with a smirk.

Since we were far enough away, it's easy for me to teleport, however, before I could manage, Reina attacked at close range which the man protected me from.

I wonder why he did that for me, even though I've been so cruel to his daughter, but there's no time. For now, I have to get away myself, and just hope Malachi isn't really dead.