Love for a devil

I yawn while walking the streets with Jace, half listening to him talk about something I can't even remember.

After Reina was defeated, Raf and I woke up in the infirmary of the school, and I heard through the grapevine that we'd be out for vacation until our second level started. If we complete that, we'd finally get our radiant Halos/Horns and become Guardian devils.

I left campus grounds soon after, since I don't have anywhere to return to. I don't want to go back to a place where I'm not wanted, but I also can't stay at the Golden school.

"Hey, El."

Sulfus's voice catches my attention and I turn to him, in his earthly from, along with Raf. My eyes immediately lock with Sulfus's and for a minute, it was like time stopped.

Jace stops in his tracks and puts a hand on my shoulder, which brought me back to reality. "Elos, are you okay?"

I take a deep breath and nod, smiling at Jace. "Yeah, that's my friend Raf and this is....."

"Her boyfriend, Sulfus." He glared at Jace and moved his hand away from me. "And I'm here to talk to my girlfriend, is that a problem?"

Jace flinched, sighing, "Alright, I'll be by the bench, if you need me, I'll come right over." He smiled and did as he said he would, waited by a beach just out of earshot.

Sulfus folds his arms, "Who does that guy think he is just touching you like that!"

I try hiding my shyness with a giggle, but I'm sure that only gave me away, "He's just a friend, you know that."

"Yeah,yeah but you've been avoiding everyone these days, have you been with him the entire time?" He raised an eyebrow.

I shake my head, "No, I've been all around..."

Raf hugs me out of nowhere, it thew me off but I still hug her back because I really like hugs now. "Elos, we were so worried about you! I was trying to give you some space but it was taking too long and now we're leaving! I couldn't go without saying goodbye!"

I rub her back, holding her as gently as I could. "I'm sorry I'm not going back with you, Raf. You understand why I can't, but I'm so gonna miss you!"

"I'm gonna miss you too!"

We hug for a while, then she lets me go to grab my hands.

"Okay, so I'm so going to write to you, and you have to write me back, even if it's just one work, okay?"

I nod, giggling, "Of course, I promise to write you back a minimum of two words. That good?"

"Better than I hoped! Oh, um, right so I'll leave you guys to it." She gave me one last tight hug, then began walking away, leaving Sulfus and I together.

Sulfus looks around, then takes my hand. "Let's go somewhere more private." He begins pulling me along and I have to hurriedly wave at Jace to tell him that he shouldn't wait for me.

The place Sulfus took me was the beach, it did take a while to get here in our earthly forms, but I could never forget that day when we had seen the sunset together and nearly kissed under that light.

"Sulfus, what did you want to talk about here?"

Sulfus sits on the sand, patting the spot next to him, so I sit there as well. He smiles, then sighs, "It's been a hard year for everyone, hasn't it."

I nod, "Yeah... I fell in love with the most hot headed devil there is, and it's been the best I've ever felt in my life..." I lower my head to stare at my lap.

Sulfus chuckles, "And I feel for the most non-angelic angel to ever exist, and then... A lot of things started standing out to me."

"Really? Like what?" I look at him from the corner of my eye.

Sulfus folds his arms, "Well, I'm pretty bias towards you, and I've started to notice some of the things you do, like avoiding me, when something is on your mind."

I roll my eyes, covering my face with both hands. "Sorry, sorry. I just... I don't want to go back to Angie Town, so I've been trying to find a place to stay here..."

"Why not come to Sulfur City with me? My mom wouldn't mind and...um.." he got all quiet, and when I looked at him, I noticed how red his ears were. I don't think I've ever seen him so shy before, I can't believe it even though I'm seeing it. It's so adorable, and I love that.

"Sulfus, you want me to meet your parents?"

"W-Well... Only if you want to. I just don't... Want to be away from you, not yet. It's too soon..." He muttered, along with something else that I couldn't hear, but it was probably important.

"I'm sorry, could you repeat that-"

"No! Nevermind, um, a-anyway.." he was just about to burst into flames when he took some deep breaths and grabbed my hand again, interlacing our fingers.

The heat on my hand was one thing, but the heat rising to my face was another. I stare at our hands for a long time, until I felt his other hand on my cheek. My eyes shoot up to lock with his, and I remember why I tried my hardest to avoid him.

I was so afraid to say goodbye, but now, I don't have to. He wants me to go with him, is that even allowed? My heart won't calm down, and I forgot out to breathe for a moment.

"Elos, I was so worried that I'd have to leave you without saying anything, but I really, really just don't want to leave you at all. I'm a selfish devil, and I know it might be hard for you, but I'm begging you, come to Sulfur City with me."

"I...I-" I tried to think but the longer I stared into his eyes, the more I wanted to give in. I'm not sure if it's allowed, but if it is, there wouldn't really be a problem, right?

"O-okay... I'll go to Sulfur City with you."

That was it, that smile that graced Sulfus's lips had me screaming on the inside. It was different from his usual devilish smirk. It was brighter than any flame and so sincere it was hard to believe it's from a devil. I have to go with him, that smile is worth everything I can do, and I'd do anything to protect it.

Sulfus rests his forehead against mine, chuckling, "Thank you, El! You have no idea how happy I am right now!"

I swallow my breath, trying to push away the thought that's always at the back of my mind, but with him being so close, I couldn't stop myself from mumbling, "Happy enough to kiss me...?"

Sulfus's eyes widen, and he grins. "I'm always happy enough to kiss you, my angel."

His hand tucked behind my head, and before I knew it, his soft lips met mine. It was just as warm as the first time, and I felt like I'd melt if I couldn't keep my cool. It was only a second but it felt like forever, and I didn't want it to end.

I wrap my arms around his neck, holding him as close as possible. I can feel the heat through our clothes, and I can only hope he can't feel my heart pounding, again, but I'm sure he knows.

I love this devil, there's no question. My sweet devil, and I don't think I'll ever regret this.