Unknown Forces

For some reason, today, both angels and devils were called together to do a little exercise planned by the professors. We are to stay in earthly form for twelve hours.

It's not like I care about all that, but this is seriously annoying. I can't use my powers and Kilin is going to be in hiding on me, because of course he is. I just hope I don't run into Jace while all this is happening, I won't know how to explain it, nor would I care to explain it.

I don't mind being an earthly one, they like to have fun, or whatever, but I don't think I'd like being an earthly one around both angels, and devils. Too many eyes. Too many people that know what I am.

Once we were all transformed, we walked outside together.

"I'm going to go... Do whatever, I guess. Bye, angels." I waved at Raf and her friends, leaving the four of them behind with the devils.

"Hey, wait! We'll come with you, Elos." Raf said with that angelic smile on her face.

"Hm? I'd rather be alone though. You know how I am, it'll be fine anyway. Just hang out with your friends."

"We're your friends too, Elos." Sweet giggled and took my hands. "If you want to go on alone, we won't stop you, but if you get lonely, just come find us, okay?"

I nod in response to her, smiling as I stepped away. "See you angels later." I leave all of them behind, because, frankly, I don't want to hang out with them as an earthly.

I check my reflection in one of the windows I pass while walking, and someone I know just so happened to walk behind me, which made me gasp, "Ah, Jace?"

"Elos? It's been a while!" The boy laughed and walked over to me with a smile plastered on his simple face. "I never see you at school, and you haven't been at the park lately..."

"I've been a bit under the weather and I'm only recently getting better..." I lied, even though it's not exactly a complete lie.

"Oh, I hope you're feeling better. I thought you were a little pale, but I'm pretty sure that's just your skin tone at this point." He mumbled and rubbed the back of his neck.

I twirl a lock of hair around my finger, humming, "Yeah, I get that a lot. Anyway, do you want something? I'm supposed to be having some alone time right now."

Jace's face began to turn pink, as it often does when he's shy or embarrassed. "Um, well, I was hoping we could maybe...hang out?"

"Like, right now?" I sighed, then raised an eyebrow. "Fine, whatever. I don't have anything better to do anyway."

Jace did a fist pump. "Yesss!" He whispered under his breath, then took my hand. "Come on, let's go to the mall! I know you're gonna love it there, they have a good hotdog stand!"

I sigh at his enthusiasm, but go along because, honestly, I find him adorable, like how humans see kittens or puppies as adorable.

We spent a good amount of time in the Mall, just looking around, trying things on, and genuinely having a good time together, until I saw the group of angels and devils. Oh darkness..

"Elos! You're here too? Who's this, a friend?" Sweet giggled, walking up to me with the group following behind her, minus one angel and a devil. I wonder where they ran off to.

I think about my next few words, then smile and speak in a non-aggressive tone, "Oh, this is Jace. He's a nice ear- I mean, person. We met a little bit ago and he's been showing me around the Mall."

Jace waves at them, beaming with joy, "Nice to meet you, you guys must be friends!"

"That's right!" Raf laughed and came over to hug my arm. "Is this why you wanted to go around alone, Elos?" She asked me in secret, to which I just shook my head.

After a few minutes of discussion, we decided to eat together, at the hotdog stand Jace talked about, but I didn't want any part of it. Honestly that clerk just seemed shady as darkness. First, he called me and Sulfus a couple, kind of hinting at something, and I know it's obvious we aren't that.

If anything, Jace and I look more like a couple than anything,. Sulfus and I? It's the first time we've even stood next to each other all day. It's not like I was avoiding him or anything... Yeah.. totally not avoiding him.

Anyway, the clerk rubbed me the wrong way, so I opted not to eat anything, and I'm glad I didn't. Both Sweet, and her devil counter part got sick after eating and went back to the school. Jace even started feeling faint, so he left for home.

Raf blamed Sulfus, getting angry even though this clearly wasn't his fault. She's such an impulsive angel, it's almost annoying. Since she wouldn't listen to reason, I just sided with Sulfus and that other devil who I still can't remember the name of and we all went down to the race tracks. I'm not very good at driving, so I did the most logical thing I could think of.

"Sulfus... Could I ride with you?"

"Say wha?!" The devil's eyes widened as he held the blue helmet, staring at me. "Why the darkness should I let you do that?"

I roll my eyes and pick up a black helmet. "Why not. Raf is just begin hot headed again, and I don't know how to drive one of these things. I don't know that other devil, and Urie is Raf's friend, that leaves you."

Sulfus sighed, then nodded. "Fine, whatever, just don't distract me."

I gave him a thumbs up and we both put on the helmets. Sulfus got in the kart and I got in behind him, then held him by the waist. As soon as the race started the car took off, and I got a little scared, but Sulfus is a great driver, so I felt safe enough.

It wasn't until the kart we were using stopped responding that everything went south. We derailed from the track and we're sent speeding down the active roads of the city.

"I can't control it! It won't turn!"

I held tightly to him, not because I was scared or anything, I mean, it's not like my head could be taken off if we were to suddenly crash-.... N-nope, not at all.

The out of control kart didn't stop until we got to the beach, around the time we could see the sun set together. I look over his shoulder to see it, and I really didn't mind being so close to him.

"It's breathtaking..." I mumbled, smiling at the scene before me.

The devil I had my arms around began to feel a bit warm and he soon smiled with me. "Yeah, it is beautiful."

As if by a magnetic force, our faces began to draw closer together, and just as we were about to touch, our Mascots forced us back into our angelic and diabolic forms.

We separated instantly and quickly made our flight back to the school.

The entire day was strange. It was like... We were being set up.

And now we pay a price for it. A lecture from the professor later, and all its doing is making me want to hang out with Sulfus some more.

I was trying to avoid him... I admit it now.. but... Now I want to be closer to him... This isn't a good thing, is it?