Another Trap

Everything went dark after the orb burst in the challenge room and I woke up on top of Sulfus in a forest of some sort. I wasn't worried about my position, because frankly, I don't care as long as I didn't end up in that river.

I'm confused, sure, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

"Sulfus... Are you okay?"

The devil groans, blinking himself awake. "Hm... I am now that I have this view."

I feel the heat rising to my face and just smack his chest. "Oh shush... You know what I meant." I get off him, then help him onto his feet.

"Yeah, yeah." He chuckles, "Glad we didn't land in that river."

"What river?"

We both jump apart, then look over at the tree where the voice came from. It's Raf.

I almost forgot the orb chose a challenge room for them, but something about his place seems a little too... Real.

"Hey were you guys just touching? What about the veto?"

Sulfus and I look at each other, then kind of shrug. "We don't really care."

"WHAT!?"

I cover my ears, sighing. Kilin crawled out of the bag I keep on my back and started chirping something that made sense only to me.

"That bad feeling I had, just turned into an even worse feeling."

"Huh? What, what did he say?" Raf came over to us, and Kox popped out of her belt, likely to tell her the same think Kilin told me. "Hey... Now that you mention it..."

"Hey, don't leave me high and dry." Sulfus raises an eyebrow, then his snake came out, coiling around his arm, likely saying the same as well.

"I can't hear the crowd, or anything for that matter.... This.... This is another Trap, but... Why is Raf with us this time?" I ask Sulfus, who seems just as confused as I am.

I take some time to really look around again, then, for some reason, I became very nervous. It is the same feeling I had during the tournament, my chest hurts and my sixth sense is screeching. I have no clue what's going on, but it can't possibly be anything angelic.

Sulfus nods, trying to calm me down by combing his fingers through my hair. "This is just like the Minotaur's labyrinth or the Caves of Obscurity, what the devil is our enemy's plan with all this?"

I look up at the sky. "What do you want from us... And why bring Raf into this. I know you're watching us, so what is it?"

Raf looks up as well, "Why won't you show yourself! Are you a coward!?"

Sulfus chuckles, "Maybe they're just stupid."

I giggle a little, walking around in the clearing to try and piece together where we are while those two had a conversation. Now, I'm not saying that I'm comfortable with leaving them together after all I've seen, but they aren't exactly the brightest of their kind.

It's good to keep a light-hearted mood in times like this, so let the two brightest people I know do the talking while I do the complicated stuff.

Walking through the vegetation, I noticed some things that just shouldn't be. Plants that went extinct thousands of years ago.

This isn't a case of where we are, it's when. Somehow, the orb must've sent us back in time, unless our enemy is able to grow extinct plants from genetic material that hasn't existed for the last thousands of years. All things considered, our enemy could be an angel that had control over plants.

But to be able to make a forest like this would require massive amounts of control and training, they'd at least need to be 300 stars old... And that doesn't explain the waterfall..

The only logical conclusion is that we've been sent back in time somehow, but how..?

"Elos, do you want to try going up to the waterfall to get a better look?" Raf smiles at me, her wings fluttering in all her joy. I don't think she actually wanted to fight Sulfus, but I don't know why, I mean, it's not like they're friends or anything.

"Sure, last one there is a rotten devil!" I take a head start, giggling as I pass through the trees.

Sulfus came right on my tail, "That's cheating!"

Raf laughed with me, "You're a devil, you cheat all the time anyway!"

My chest felt tight all over again, and it became harder for me to breath. 'Devils always lie and cheat'- I know that, why does that hurt?

This day has just been so strange, I feel out of control. Maybe it's stress, or that I'm sleepy, but this... This is painful.

I look back at Raf and Sulfus and they smile at me in their own natural way. We fly around each other with Sulfus and I starting to get closer and eventually holding hands.

All my problems basically flew away as I was staring into his eyes. Who know a devil would make me feel so safe and secure. Who knew that being in love with someone could feel this amazing, but so painful at the same time.

When we got to the top of the waterfall, Raf got between us, holding onto my arm and staring out at the forest.

"Woah, it's beautiful!" She laughed, "what do you think, Elos?"

I smile at her, then glance at Sulfus, "It is very pretty, isn't it?"

Sulfus shrugs, mumbling, "Not as pretty as my angel."

"Ack-" I broke into a coughing fit, pretty sure my face is as red as  cherry candies.

Raf sighs, "Look, I won't stop you guys from... Whatever this is that you have, but you should be more careful."

I raise an eyebrow but said nothing.

Sulfus, on the other hand, glared at her, "What the devil? What gives you the right to comment on our relationship-"

"Sulfus, don't. You and I both know that the Profs wouldn't have assigned us guardians if us being together wouldn't cause astronomical issues. You know that if there wouldn't be any problem, they wouldn't give a halo."

Sulfus put a hand on his hip, holding up the other as if he were surrendering. "Right, got it. It's just been so long since we got to be together like this, I just got a little heated. Plus with everything that's going on, I don't want some angel putting more pressure on you."

"....How the devil did you become so level-headed...?"

Sulfus chuckles, "You're rubbing off on me, angel."

I roll my eyes, then actually took the time to think about it. He might be right, we could be rubbing off on each other. I mean, he's usually the hot-headed one, but lately, it's been me that can't look before I leap at times.

"...What in Angel's name...." I mumbled, just as someone quickly passed over our heads and took our attention away.

And in that moment, I knew why I was having such a bad feeling earlier. I knew why I was panicking and why I couldn't stay calm for the life of me.

Because deep down I knew, I just knew, today would be the day when I finally break down and not even a Mystic could save me from it.