Letter of Challenge

Last night, I had one of the worst nightmares I've gotten in a while. I nearly forgot how bad they could be, but there's only so much tossing and turning you can do before passing out.

When I awoke, there was a note by my pillow, and there wasn't anyone else in my room. Usually, Raf, Urie, Sweet, and Miki are in here with me, chatting at the table, but today, they're gone.

I pick up the note, reading out loud to myself, "'I'll meet you in front of the challenge room, we need to talk. -Sulfus'" I stare at the paper for a bit, then tilted my head. "What could he want? Well, whatever, I've been wanting to see him anyway. I need to get him out of my head."

I begin to get ready for the day and I threw the note away, no body needs to know about that. After a few minutes, Raf and her friends came to get me and we all headed down to the schools courtyard to watch the earthly ones.

"Do I have to be here? This is boring..." I sighed. I mean seriously, my earthly ones aren't even here.

"Aw, how can you say that? Everything has been going right, it's peaceful!" Sweet giggled, her wings fluttering behind her.

"Well... There's too many people, the scenery is ruined. All we're doing is watching earthly ones that have nothing to do with me..."

"Oh, come on, Elos! Look over there, it's Andrew and Jennifer." Urie pointed the two out. "It looks like they're planning something together."

"Andrew isn't my earthly one anymore, so I don't really care.."

"Aw, you shouldn't say that, Elos..." Sweet pouted, then looked at Miki. "What do you think of all this?"

Miki smiles, "It's adorable. Urie, you still guard Jenifer, don't you?"

"That's right!" She laughed.

I sigh and lean back against the table. "If you need my help, I'll be there, but still, this has nothing to do with me."

The angels laughed and we all flew over to the pair of earthly ones, reading Jennifer's mind to understand the situation.

I have no idea what the problem is, and I let my mind wander when every angel was talking. It's not like I was intentionally ignoring them, but I wasn't exactly trying to listen to them either. I keep thinking about that note. What does Sulfus what to talk about?

When I finally came back to reality, we were at the mall facing the devils. At some point, Raf got a little heated and naturally I got between her and her target, but when I did that, Sweet and Miki decided they wanted to leave, which was strange.

Right after the two devils that were with Sulfus told him that they should go somewhere else, which was even more strange.

I knew today would be weird, but this is ridiculous.

"Angels. What's going on, you've been hanging off of me all day, not letting me do my own thing." I sighed, folding my arms.

Miki put her hands on her hips. "Fine. Something's been going on between you and Sulfus and the professor wanted us to keep an eye on you."

I raise an eyebrow. "Something between me and Sulfus? Have you lost it? We can't stand each other half the time." I clicked my teeth and flew away from them. Seriously, the only thing going on between me and that devil is the fact that he's in my nightmares. I think. There can't be anything between us.

Miki and Sweet did try to follow me, but I lost them in the town. I was back to being alone, alone and rightfully upset. 

"...I'll see him later." I mumbled to myself as I waited for nightfall.

When it was time, I finally began my journey to the challenge room, just to meet Sulfus coming close at the same time.

"So. What do you want, little devil?"

"I should be asking you that, Angel."

We glare at each other for what felt like an eternity, then we both sighed.

Sulfus speaks up first. "About what you said earlier... You know that's not true, right. That I can't stand you."

Here it goes again, those butterflies in my stomach. "I just said that because the others were around.  Since that day, I haven't been able to get you off my mind..."

"Me neither." He sighed, then we both just fell into silence. After a few moments the door to the challenge room opened and sucked us both in. It was a strong pressure that threw us around.

"S-Sulfus!" I screamed, the air current throwing me around like a paper bag, I couldn't even tell which way was up.

"Elos! Grab my hand!"

We reached out to each other, but we weren't close enough to touch. Both of us were at the mercy of this tornado like force, with no way of knowing how long we'd fall.