Episode 6 - Chen's Cult

The next day was tiring to say the least. None of the boys had any battles to participate in, but I did. Today I was matched against the Master of Color. She was a very colorful girl: She wore rainbow clothes, had rainbow hair with color changing eyes. We fought in a relatively large arena, decorated with tall trees and thick bushes. It was terrain that I was familiar with, and judging by the grin on her face, she was too. The Jadeblade was placed on the topmost branch in the tallest tree.

"Tasha, Master of Dark Power, versus Iris, Master of Color," Chen announces. "Fight!"

Immediately, I summon a ball of energy to my hands and throw it at her. She jumps out of the way and I charge after her, but before I can get close, a wall of lava appears in my way. I come to a sudden stop, nearly loosing my balance and falling. But then Iris appears through the wall and kicks me hard in the face. I fall backward onto my butt and the wall of lava disappears.

Iris comes for me again and this time I roll out of the way. I stand back up and turn to face her when suddenly I'm trapped in a large metal cage. Iris smirks and starts towards the tree with the Jadeblade.

I summon a large ball of energy to my hands and let off a burst, but the power glides through the cage as if it's not there. Perplexed, I try to touch one of the bars, but my hand glides right through. With an angry huff I run out of the imaginary cage and towards the tree, which Iris is already halfway up.

"What's wrong, Tasha?" She asks tauntingly. "Struggling with my mirages?"

I summon a large ball of energy to my hands and throw it at her, but the energy pass through her and suddenly she disappears. It was another mirage.

Suddenly I'm kicked hard in the back. Turning around, I see Iris standing behind me and this time I know she's real. I throw a ball of energy at her and she jumps out of the way.

We go back and forth like this for a short while more before I get fed up with her tricky little games. I force my opened hands at her and she freezes, a translucent purple aura now floating around her. I grin to myself and direct my left hand up towards the Jadeblade. Some of the purple aura moves from her and to the blade; it zooms out of the tree and into my hand. I drop my hand to the side and Iris's energy is returned to her person.

"Winner!" Chen cries. "Loser! Master of Dark Power moves on."

Chen presses a button on his chair and a trapdoor opens up beneath Iris, dropping her into the unknown. I turn towards the stadium, expecting cheers and praise, but everyone looks unsure -- scared, even. Dad stares down at me disapprovingly and I realize my mistake.

        ~

"At least the chows good," Cole said later that evening.

"Oh, it's killing me!" Jay bursts. "What's under the trapdoor? What happens when you loose?"

"Don't think about that," Dad says tensely.

"It's all I can think about," Jay says. "I moved on. I feel guilt. These are not good feelings!"

"You think you feel bad? Imagine how I feel," Kai says. "Our mission is simple. We find Zane and get off this crazy island."

"And just how are we supposed to do that?" Cole asks. "You heard Chen. Break a rule and we're out. He's not gonna let us roam around."

"Then it's a good thing we're Ninja," Kai replies. "Meet me in my room at midnight."

"You mind if I join you?" asks the Master of Light.

"Disappear, pal!" Jay says loudly. "This is private."

The paleman goes invisible.

"I know you're still here. I can see your lunch tray."