Episode 2 - A Curiosity

My muscles ache. Its quite a lovely feeling, actually. The dull burn I feel with every movement is the only form of pleasure I've ever known. This soreness that I feel only means I'm getting stronger and that makes me happy. When you live in a world where strength is power and power is everything you've been taught to strive for, becoming more Herculean brings you joy.

With that in mind, I lift another large rock from the cave and drop it into the minecart. I then follow said cart through the winding tunnels of the cave and out into the scorching desert sun. I pull down my hood and mask, breathing in the thick, yet fresh air. The heat immediately brings beads of sweat to my brow and I begin to regret wearing black.

Hundreds of Skulkin surround me, working to dig up the Scythe of Quakes from the Caves of Despair, which I have just exited. We've been at this task for hours on end and still haven't found it. Samukai sits in his watch tower, pacing back and forth as he watches his people work. While he is very scary looking, he is quite the lazy sack of bones. I have more authority than him, yet I am the one working hard while he sits in his cool command post. He deserves the daggers I'm currently glaring at him.

A flash of red catches my eye, tearing my gaze from the useless Skulkin leader. Searching the edges of the crater we're in, I spot a boy dressed in a red ninja suite galivanting from hut roof to hut roof until he makes it to Samukai's watch tower. I would have sounded the alarm, but I found myself intrigued by him. I didn't want to warn the others, I wanted to know what he was doing. These Skulkins may be thick skulled, but I'm not and I nearly missed him. He was skilled and it was impressive. I was curious.

Suddenly, three more boys join him. They're all dressed in different colored ninja suites. One is blue, one is black, one is white, and of course there's the red one that I originally saw. I climb onto the roof of one of the huts only a few yards away from the watch tower in hopes of a better view. These strange boys have definitely sparked my interest. The white one pulls out a shiny silver shuriken, ties a rope to it, whips it through a hole in the roof and pulls it back up with the map attached. A gasp escapes my lips, but before I can do anything, the red one jumps from the roof and towards the cave.

One of my greatest weaknesses is my curiosity. Because of it, I often make rash decisions. These decisions usually get me in trouble, but I never seem to learn my lesson. That's why I follow them. I pull on my hood and mask and follow the four boys into a cave on the other side of the canyon we're digging in. They enter the cave and I follow. Stupid curiosity.

Together, they push away a very large boulder to reveal a cave I haven't yet explored. The only cave I haven't explored, actually. Inside that cave is exactly what we've been looking for. The Golden Scythe of Quakes: The first of four golden weapons. I waste no time watching; I immediately race out of that cave. With haste, I run back to where the Skulkin are digging.

"Ninja! Ninja have found the Scythe!" I yell once I am in hearing range.

The Skulkin look at me in shock before running at me. I turn on my heal and head back towards the cave the four colored ninja are in. I can only hope I was fast enough. Fortunately for me, I was. The four are just exiting the cave when we arrive. They all gasp in shock as Samukai pulls his four swords from behind his back, a smirk on his bony face. The ninja immediately pull out their weapons and prepare to fight. I pull my bow from my back and notch an arrow, pointing it at the red ninja, who currently holds the Scythe. They charge into battle, grunting and shouting with every Skulkin they knock down.

"Kai! Throw it here!" the white one shouts. Shocked, I immediately lower my bow. The red ninja, which is supposedly Kai, throws the Scythe, which they've wrapped in a towel, at the white ninja.

"Going long!" Yells the black ninja, prompting the white one to toss it to him.

"There's too many of them," comes the familiar cry of Kai.