Episode 9 - Skate Competition

WARNING: MENTIONS OF SUICIDE

        ~

It had only been a day since Cole was dropped into the pit and I am already miserable. Cole is the only one who knows about what went down two nights ago and I'm still dealing with the aftereffects. I would talk to Lloyd, but I'm not ready to admit to him that I almost took my life again.

I'm snapped from my contemplation by loud cheering.

"Winner!" Chen yells. "Loser!"

He presses a button on his chair and the Master of Sound is dropped into the pits below. Skylar, Master of Amber, has won her fight.

"I hope the Tournament of Elements has entertained you as much as it has me," says Chen. "To thank you, I wanted to give everyone fancy jewels and untold shiny things." Murmurs of excitement ripple through the remaining competitors as Chen pulls out of tray of diamonds. "But then in yesterday's battle, masters Jay and Cole tried to undermine me by teaming up and refusing to fight each other. And that has made me very upset. For their insubordination, all of your fancy quarters will be taken away, and tonight everyone must sleep together in the chow house. That is all. Thank you, you can go."

"Nice one, Jay," Kai grumbles, glaring with the rest of the crowd.

"Woah, easy, Romeo," Jay retorts.

"Don't worry about them," says Lloyd. "We aren't here to make friends, just save ours."

"Yes, but exclusion of others has only made you enemies," Dad warns. "Beware how you treat those around you, for they will treat you the same."

        ~

That night I slept restlessly on the bunk above Lloyd. The soft snores of our competitors were all but soothing, and the words "what if" kept racing though my mind. What if we had just followed the rules? What if Cole had won instead of Jay? What if I had been successful in suicide? What if Kai never left me? How could all this have been different if there were these simple changes?

"Couldn't sleep either?" Jay asks. The three boys had climbed out of bed.

"Not when we still have to get Zane and Cole back," says Kai.

I wish that was all I thought about.

"Speaking of backs," says Lloyd, "these new beds are the worst."

"Should we wake Tasha up?" asks Jay.

"No, let her sleep," says Kai. "She's had a rough couple of days."

You don't know the worst of it, I thought.

"All right," says Lloyd, "let's do--"

The loud bang of a gong cut's Lloyd off. The boys quickly climb back into bed as the lights turn on. Clouse and his cultists have all entered the room looking well rested and enthusiastic.

"Good morning, fighters," says Clouse mockingly. "Oh, that's right, it's the middle of the night."

Clouse's goons yank us out of bed and strap roller skates to our feet.

"Lemme guess," says Lloyd. "Another one of Chen's impromptu battles?"

"Oh, roller skates!" Jay cheers, jumping and doing a spin in the air. "I love roller skates!"

"We should be used to this by now," I sigh.

"Did I ever mention I once placed first in the Mother-Son Skate-off?" He chuckles fondly. "I should have never admitted that."

"Master Chen wants everyone in the Royal Arena," Clouse announces. "I wouldn't be late if I were you."

"If most of us already fought, why are we all in skates?" asks Skylar.