Year 7 - A Place To Hide

Everything seems fuzzy, slow. I draw my wand and rush further into the marquee again. Many people are only just realizing that something strange has happened; heads are still turning towards the silver cat as it vanishes. Silence spreads outwards in cold ripples from the place where the Patronus had landed. Then somebody screams.

Hermione.

I throw myself into the panicking crowd. Guests are sprinting in all directions; many are Disapparating; the protective enchantments around the Burrow have broken.

George. Fred.

I scan the crowd, trying to see any of their faces. Fred and George are still outside, they could possibly run first into whoever is coming for all of us. I need to get outside. I need to find Hermione as well.

I push across the floor of the marquee, I spot cloaked and masked figures appearing in the crowd; then Lupin and Tonks, their wands raised, they both shout, "Protego!", a cry that is echoed on all sides –

I spot Hermione, halfway across the marquee near the dance floor, half sobbing as she and Harry are being buffeted by terrified guests. Pushing forward through the crowd with all my strength towards her. Ron almost by them, and Hermione notices me not too far behind him.

"Nyx, hurry!" she calls out, Ron a mere couple of feet away from her.

My path suddenly blocked by a tall-hooded figure, laughing sinisterly.

"Go!" I shout at her, turning my attention to the tall looming figure.

Out the corner of my eye I can see her protesting to wait for me, however, Ron catches hold of Hermione's arm, tugging at her to go. With one last painful look at one another, she turns and Disapparates on the spot.

Taking a step back I assess the situation around me, as people push, and shove passed to get away. I turn my attention back to the Death Eater in front of me, his attention still on me.

Why hasn't he attacked me yet? Or is this just all a scare tactic?

Not wasting a moment longer, I feign running left before sprinting off towards the right, the rushing crowd sweeping the Death Eater away in the opposite direction. I head straight for the other exit of the marquee, to see if I can find George and Fred; scanning the crowd as I go to see if they headed inside instead.

Breaking out of the chaos, I come to a skidding halt, the heel of my shoe breaking. I mutter a series of curse words under my breath as I slip off my shoes and hastily look over the darkness that looms outside; it being eerily quiet compared to the sounds echoing from the marquee.

I don't see any traces of George or Fred outside; I hope they're okay. I take a step forward, wanting to continue my search for them when four hooded figures appear out of nowhere, surrounding me. I look all around, however, there is no gap to escape now.

Looking each hooded figure in the eyes of their masks, a menacing grin on my face, I turn on the spot and Apparate, but I'm not quick enough as one of the Death Eaters clamps down onto my wrist; the sight and sounds are extinguished as darkness presses in upon us, moving further away from the Burrow, away from the other descending Death Eaters...

My eyesight pinched as I try to see the figure latched onto me. I aim my wand at what I hope is the Death Eater.

Stupefy!

The streak of light hitting something, the grasp on my wrist slowly fading; I'm not sure if I hit them head on or if it just grazed them.

Landing with a tumble onto the front lawn of my parents' house, I swiftly jump to my feet scanning the area for my unwanted passenger that tagged along.