Year 4 - The Second Task

Everybody gets up late on Boxing Day. The Slytherin common room is much quieter than it has been lately, many yawns are punctuating the lazy conversations.

The effects from the ball still busy wearing off.

As the days wear on Draco and I don't speak of that night again after the Yule Ball; I didn't even mention it to Tracey yet, I first need to lick my wounds. Draco and I both agreed we're just friends and have carried on like nothing has changed, except for the lingering hug he gave me before we went our separate ways to bed. As though he was regretting something.

As the holidays draw to a close, lots of students flock to the library or remain in their common rooms to tackle their homework they decided to neglect during the first week of holidays.

And as I suspected Tracey is very thankful for me forcing her to do her homework in the beginning of the holidays, as now we have time to roam the castle and enjoy our free time.

The atmosphere in the castle rather flat now that Christmas is over, and the champions are back on edge as the twenty-fourth of February looms closer.

And so, the first day of the new term arrives, and we all set off to lessons, weighed down with books, parchment and quills as usual. The snow still thick upon the grounds and the windows covered in condensation so thick that you can't see anything out of them.

Nobody is looking forward to Care of Magical Creatures much in this weather, however, when we arrive at Hagrid's cabin, we find an elderly witch with closely cropped grey hair and a very prominent chin standing before his front door.

"Hurry up, now, the bell rang five minutes ago," she barks at us as we struggle toward her through the snow.

Tracey and I linked arm in arm to ensure we don't fall over.

"Who're you?" asks Ron, staring at her. "Where's Hagrid?"

"My name is Professor Grubbly-Plank," she says briskly. "I am your temporary Care of Magical Creatures teacher."

"Where's Hagrid?" Harry repeats loudly.

"He is indisposed," says Professor Grubbly-Plank shortly.

Soft and unpleasant laughter rings out. Harry turns to see most of the Slytherin's laughing, save for Tracey and myself. They all look gleeful and none of them look surprised to see Professor Grubbly-Plank.

"This way, please," says Professor Grubbly-Plank and she strides off around the paddock where the Beauxbatons horses are shivering.

She leads us past the paddock where the huge horses are standing, huddled against the cold, and toward a tree on the edge of the forest, where a large and beautiful unicorn is tethered.

A girlish squeal escapes my lips, causing Draco to chuckle softly next to me with a boyish grin, and many of the other girls 'ooooooohed!' at the sight of it.

The unicorn is so brightly white it makes the snow all around look grey. It is pawing the ground nervously with its golden hooves and throwing back its horned head.

"Boys keep back!" barks Professor Grubbly-Plank, throwing out an arm and catching Harry hard in the chest. "They prefer the woman's touch, unicorns. Girls to the front and approach with care, come on, easy does it..."

Tracey and I huddle along with the other girls and Professor Grubbly-Plank as we walk slowly forward toward the unicorn, leaving the boys standing near the paddock fence, watching.

We all crowd around the unicorn, carefully stroking its perfectly soft coat. The unicorn itself is enchanting that I barely even hear Professor Grubbly-Plank's voice as she says to the boys, "are you paying attention over there?"